Questions to AG and Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamb6411

Reaction score
Ok, so I have only been brewing for about 4 months and have made numerous batches of different kits and even putting together some of my own little recipes (Brown ales, Stouts, Spring ales) all by extract and steeping grains. All have turned out well (atleast to me) so I decided to jump ahead and wanted to start all-grain brewing and attempt a lager at that. My main question is the size yeast starter I should be using (5 gallon Oktoberfest) because I have never used a yeast starter before. Also, once I use a starter big enough am I going to need to pitch more yeast later? Am i still suppose to use 1 vile of liquid yeast (WLP-830) for the starter or am i suppose to use multiple? And last but not least is the starter suppose to be room temperature and am i suppose to add it to the wort when it is around 50 degrees. Sorry if I seem like a jackass but there is so much information all over this site I am trying to put 2 and 2 together.

A lager ideally would be pitched cold, at 48-50 degrees or so. A lager usually requires a LOT more yeast than an ale, due to the cold temperature.

I really like the yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com. You can put in there 1 vial, two vials, etc and it will tell you the size of the starter you need for the optimum pitch rate. You can use 1 vial to start, and step it up, or start with two. Just be aware that you'll be amazed at the proper pitch amount! Even with ales, the proper amount of yeast should be used as well but many people just use a vial for ales without making a starter.

The best beer comes from the optimum amount of yeast pitched at the proper temperature.

You can make the starter at room temperature, after all you're growing yeast not making beer. Just put it in the fridge when it's finished for at least three days, and decant much of the spent wort before pitching it into your batch.

What Yooper said, and +1 to the OP for asking the important questions BEFORE jumping off into brewing your first lager.

The yeast pitch rate for lagers is TWICE that for a similar gravity ale. That makes a stir plate a very, very valuable piece of brew gear for making lager starters. Lots of folks make their own using surplus computer fan motors with magnets attached to the hub.

I'm a fan of this yeast pitch calculator - http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Thanks for the help I see that I will definately be making a huge starter and an extra vial most likely to make this oktoberfest I hope to be brewing in the next few weeks

Back