Questions about using vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osborne

Reaction score
Well AiH has free shipping on a Vanilla Porter kit, and it really caught my attention as I love vanilla beers. It turns out it comes with two beans which I planned on split, scrapping and soaking in vodka, and just pouring it all in the fermenter after a couple weeks.

I want a strong vanilla, not overpoweringly strong, but just strong. So I thought about putting a tablespoon of high quality vanilla extract at flame out? Or when I first put in primary?

Anyone have any suggestions? Would adding this be too much? Whats your techniques? etc

Don't add vanilla at flameout or in the primary; like you said, adding an extract or whole beans after primary is finished is best.

1Tbsp ~ 1 bean, in my experience with it.

The two beans will be noticeable, adding an extra tbsp should make it strong; I think more than that would be overpowering.

I had this question also, but for a pumpkin spice beer.

Is there a reason not to add the vanilla at flameout?

A major aspect of vanilla is the volatile scent compounds, if you add them at flame out you'll drive off a big portion of those compounds. Even in primary, they can be carried off by the CO2. I don't think adding vanilla earlier would do anything harmful to the beer, but I've never tried it.

Exactly. Vanilla is a fairly delicate flavor that is best introduced in measured amounts following fermentation when you can dose it more accurately and not lose volatiles to boiling or vigorous fermentation. A secondary fermenter, keg, or bottling bucket is a good place to be adding vanilla extract. Beans can be used in secondary or in a keg.

An easy way to add measured amounts of vanilla from vanilla beans is to soak beans in rum for a few weeks, then pour small amounts of the rum into your beer until the flavor is just right. Rum happens to go will with vanilla, so the minute amount of added rum flavor is probably a good thing for a beer needing vanilla.

Beware beware, vanilla extract is really really really powerful and can overwhelm beer very easily. I've had vanilla beer that made me think "this would be good if they cut the vanilla in half" faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more than "this would be good if they just put in a bit more vanilla."

Beware beware, vanilla extract is really really really powerful and can overwhelm beer very easily. I've had vanilla beer that made me think "this would be good if they cut the vanilla in half" faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more than "this would be good if they just put in a bit more vanilla."

Good to know. What amount is typical for a 5 gallon pumpkin ale?

since you guys are on the topic. I had a question about using beans. When you cut and scrape them out, do you throw away the bean paste, or just stir it in your rum/bourbon? I had thought that the tiny beans would aid in the vanilla taste, rather than just using the peel.

Genuinely curious.

since you guys are on the topic. I had a question about using beans. When you cut and scrape them out, do you throw away the bean paste, or just stir it in your rum/bourbon? I had thought that the tiny beans would aid in the vanilla taste, rather than just using the peel.

Genuinely curious.

No don't throw out! The paste is good stuff! I'm pretty sure that's the actual vanilla. If you've had vanilla bean ice cream I'm pretty sure those are the same little black stuff.

No don't throw out! The paste is good stuff! I'm pretty sure that's the actual vanilla. If you've had vanilla bean ice cream I'm pretty sure those are the same little black stuff.

This. The actual vanilla is the "caviar", the little bits inside the main bean. The shell will still have some flavor also though.

Now does anyone have a recommendation for how many beans to use per batch?

I do a vanilla pumpkin beer and I use two beans per 5gal batch. I've done them as 5min additions, flameout, secondary additions, and as a vodka tincture dosed immediately prior to kegging. There weren't HUGE differences between the methods.

I was a bit afraid to overdo the vanilla in a recent kegged beer so I split open a bean, kinda mashed/scraped the insides some, then put the bean in a muslin bag. Dry hopped it in the pumpkin ale only to find out one bean was not enough so I added a second bean. Pulled the bag when it hit the right note for me.

This. The actual vanilla is the "caviar", the little bits inside the main bean. The shell will still have some flavor also though.

Now does anyone have a recommendation for how many beans to use per batch?

Alright, I'm glad I'm on the same page here. It is what I always assumed and even what I did to an addition to my roggenwiezen, but every time I see a post about its use, their is always talk about splitting, and scraping and cutting/scoring, but not specifically if all of it is being tossed in, and while there is talk of the peel, rarely do I see the beans/paste specifically mentioned, so I thought something might be amiss. Appreciate the help guys!

I wish I could remember how I implemented them, but if I use next time, I think I will toss them in after most of the primary fermentation is complete to keep some of the nose in there.

Back