Questions about AG Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobeman

Reaction score
I brewed Jamil Z's Strict Observance Belgian Tripel from his book Brewing Classic Styles. This is approximately what I started with:

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Style: Belgian Tripel (18C)
Boil Size: 7.75 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
OG (without sugar added): 1.081
Estimated FG: 1.012

Mash Profile: 149/90

Ingredients
1 Pkgs
Wyeast 3787-Trappist High Gravity ( #), 2L starter
14 lbs Belgian Pilsen Malt
.25 lbs Aromatic Malt (20)

Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose (0.0 SRM), 2.5 lbs

German Tettnang [4.0%] 2.3 oz, Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Czech Saaz [3.5%] - Boil 10 min

I did not add the sugar to the boil as I understand it is customary when brewing tripels to add the sugar to the primary. A few questions there:
1. How long into primary should I add the sugar? I'm thinking about a week, after the yeast has had the chance to propogate.
2. Is this just plain table sugar? Do I need to do anything special (boil, etc), or do i just dump it in?
3. Without the sugar I hit an original gravity of 1.086. Wondering what 2.5# of sugar is going to add to the gravity of this beer. Since I started out with such a high gravity.

My plan is to move to secondary after ~ 3 weeks and secondary for approximatley 1 month before aging in keg for 3-6 months.

Regards,

Brobeman

First, I think your FG estimate is off. I think you mean 1.008?
1. I would add the sugar after the primary fermentation begins to slow. This may be as little as three days. Probably somewhere between 3-5 days.
2. This is just plain table sugar. I would dissolve the sugar in as much water needed to completely dissolve it. Then boil for 10 minutes and cool. Add this to the fermentor.
3. 1 lb of table sugar yields 40 gravity points per gallon. So 2.5 lb*40/5.25 = 19 points. So it's like your OG was 1.086 + .019 = 1.105.

That yeast can be slow to finish, but three weeks might be right. This depends on the fermentation temperature. I've used that yeast a number of times. I usually pitch the yeast at 65-66F and then let it rise slowly to 73F over the first week and then up as high as 77F to help the yeast finish the last few gravity points. Also, you can add the sugar to the boil and get the same results. People add the sugar in the fermentor to help give the yeast a boost as it slows during fermentation. The idea is to get the yeast to consume the more difficult sugars fro the malt when they are most healthy and the environment is less stressful at the beginning of fermentation. Then the sugar that is added later will be easy to ferment when the yeast are "tired".

Hi Slarkin,
Thanks or the post, and you're correct. I made a cut and paste error from another thread. I hit an original gravity of 1.081 (without the sugar) and am expecting a final gravity of 1.012 and have edited my original post accordingly. I appreciate the advise on the sugar and will proceed accordingly. That's going to give me an effective OG of 1.100 and an estimated ABV of 11.5%. The odd thing about this recipe is that Jamil estimated an OG of 1.081, which I achieved without the sugar. I've consistently acheived efficiencies well into the 80% range and need to back off on the grain for future brews. I'm assuming this beer will with time have enough character to stand up to the alcohol, but 11.5% is well beyond the style guideline of 7.5-9.5%.

I'm thinking about backing off on, or completely omitting the sugar addition. Do you think that the sugar addition adds desirable flavor profile to this beer, or is it strictly a means of increasing the ABV?

Regards,

Brobeman

Hi Slarkin,
Thanks or the post, and you're correct. I made a cut and paste error from another thread. I hit an original gravity of 1.081 (without the sugar) and am expecting a final gravity of 1.012 and have edited my original post accordingly. I appreciate the advise on the sugar and will proceed accordingly. That's going to give me an effective OG of 1.100 and an estimated ABV of 11.5%. The odd thing about this recipe is that Jamil estimated an OG of 1.081, which I achieved without the sugar. I've consistently acheived efficiencies well into the 80% range and need to back off on the grain for future brews. I'm assuming this beer will with time have enough character to stand up to the alcohol, but 11.5% is well beyond the style guideline of 7.5-9.5%.

I'm thinking about backing off on, or completely omitting the sugar addition. Do you think that the sugar addition adds desirable flavor profile to this beer, or is it strictly a means of increasing the ABV?

Regards,

Brobeman

You'll certainly want to add the sugar to this beer. A trippel needs to be dry, which the sugar will help with . Also, Belgian yeasts express certain flavors from fermenting the simple sugars, so you need the sugar for that reason as well. In regards to your efficiency and Jamil's recipe, I believe he has his set for 70 or 75% efficiency and also I think the batch sizes are 6 gallons. So those things should account for your higher gravity. If it were me I'd use all the sugar or 2 lbs to make sure that it remains dry. Just give this batch some time to age to mellow the alcohol flavor. As far as style guidelines, unless you're entering it in a competition don't worry about it. I've seen commercial examples of the style over 10% ABV.

Back