Question: Wheat beer with too high OG and FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchi Gumee

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've made a wheat and the OG ended up a few points higher than expected and it seems to have finished fermentation a few points higher than expected. Here's the recipe I used (from a kit):

7lbs wheat/barley extract (it was 60/40 ratio...not sure which is the 60 or the 40 though
1oz Saaz hops (1hr boil)
Wyeast 3056

It was projected with an OG of 1.045-1.050 but I got 1.054 (and it seemd to be cooled to near room temp when I measured)

The projected FG is 1.009-1.014.
At day 9 I measured the gravity and got 1.020. I sanitized my long spoon and kicked it up with a little stir, and on day 11 it was down to 1.018. Now on day 12 it is still at 1.018.

Any thoughts on this? Am I ready to bottle? I am trying to get this one in the bottles and drinkable as soon as possible so please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

I've made a wheat and the OG ended up a few points higher than expected and it seems to have finished fermentation a few points higher than expected. Here's the recipe I used (from a kit):

7lbs wheat/barley extract (it was 60/40 ratio...not sure which is the 60 or the 40 though
1oz Saaz hops (1hr boil)
Wyeast 3056

It was projected with an OG of 1.045-1.050 but I got 1.054 (and it seemd to be cooled to near room temp when I measured)

The projected FG is 1.009-1.014.
At day 9 I measured the gravity and got 1.020. I sanitized my long spoon and kicked it up with a little stir, and on day 11 it was down to 1.018. Now on day 12 it is still at 1.018.

Any thoughts on this? Am I ready to bottle? I am trying to get this one in the bottles and drinkable as soon as possible so please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Far be it from me to be an expert or even knowledgeable at this point, but I'd give it another day or two and take another reading. 2 weeks in the primary isn't a big deal. If after two days it's at 18 still then you've probably finished fermenting. A few points variance isn't a huge thing I've read.

Also, what temperature is your hydrometer calibrated to? You need to take that into account when you take a reading. By way of example, my hydrometer was calibrated at a temperature of 60*, but if I take a reading at 70, it's going to be off a few points and needs to be corrected in my notes. What's the temperature of the beer when you take a reading?

I have liquid crystal thermometers on all of my Carboys, and now I have an Hydrometer with a built-in thermometer. The liquid crystal thermometer shows almost identical readings as the built-in one. Both of your readings can be off some. If your room temp is around 70F, then you would have to add .001 to your reading. That may account for some of the higher values you are getting. Most, if not all, Hydrometers are calibrated to 60F, so if you want to be certain of your OG and FG, you should know the temp of the Wort/Beer.

Since the OG was on the high side, your FG will be higher than the target (1.016-1.017). I'd wait another two days. If the gravity is still 1.018, then you could bottle.

Always give it a few days. 3 Minimum. I usually wait 2 full weeks, unless I am having problems with fermentation. Then I check more often. At the end of 2 weeks, if it is near where I thought it would be, I rack to secondary or keg.

I like Things beer in Webberville. I used to live in Pinckney and used them a lot. They may also show you around the brewery. Take a coaster from somewhere you visit and they will put it on the celing in the tasting room. I used to take them there from my travels.

I also went to Adventures in Homebrewing in Dearborn. They guy there is great and he has an excellent selection. Brew and Grow was decent and helpful, but the selection was not as good as Adventures. There is also a place in A2. The liquor store across from Palios. He has yeast and grains.

Back