Question on Sake yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
From all that i have read, true Sake yeast is a lager yeast. And i see that a short portion of the fermentation is at lager temps, but for the most part, the main fermentation is done at room temps.
The reason i ask is this:

Will my WLP705 yeast thrive and produce less off flavors at lager temps or are room temps ok for this application? (disregarding tradition in my case)

The reason i ask is that i have somewhat bastardized my Sake recipe, as i didnt realize how detailied the true recipe was before i started. Basically, i have a fermenter that i have slowly stepped up Kome Koji and steamed rice into, at my own bastardized times. (Ive helped it a bit with some amylase.) I just want the most from my WLP705. It is eating up some sugars currently, doing quite well at room temps.

Thanks in advance!

Well throwing tradition out and just winging it and hoping for the best... Your yeast will present a drinkable fermentation once everything is said and done. Actually looking up the stats of that yeast from white labs they even say the preferred temp range is >70*F. So room temp will not cause bad flavors from the yeast. A lot of what the cold does do is slow down lactic fermentation which is lactobacillus bacteria changing sugars into lactic acid rather than your yeast changing sugars into alcohol. So the end product may seem more sour than traditional sake. I guess if that does get too bad then the brew will be un drinkable. If kept at room temps you will just need to only leave it to ferment as long as you need to and once there is enough liquid present from the saccharification and your ABV is high enough. Press the lees and hit this with finnings quick so you can siphon the clear liquid and pasteurize.

Lol.

I agree, but the majority of the fermentation is actually done at lager temperatures (full three weeks, called Moromi). The moto phase (stepped starter phase) is completed by alternating between room temperature and lager temperature, again to slow down the lactic acid production and to control fruity esters (not necessarily eliminate them).

If you ferment your sake at room temperatures, you are likely to produce a more sour, fruity product more akin to Chinese rice wine.

Back