Question on Chilling and Transportation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky137

Reaction score
Hola,

I've read/been told that it is ideal to refrigerate your beer for at least 48 hours before enjoying, in order for the CO2 in the headspace to get absorbed into the brew (I think we can all agree that more head is always better). My question is, after refrigerating a beer once, will that CO2 stay absorbed? Or will it pop back out?

I ask because I am headed to CA for my Dad's birthday, and wanted to bring him some homebrew. However, I will only be home for a couple days, which makes chilling them for 48 hours once I'm down there quite a challenge. So if I refrigerate the brews up here, wrap them up and check them in my bag, and then chill them for a couple hours once I'm down there, will the carbonation be similar?

Thanks.

The little bit of co2 that's trapped in the headspace of your bottle isn't an issue. At least...I've never had a problem. The biggest reason I like to chill for a few days is so that all the sediment drops to the bottom and you get a nice clear beer. If you don't care about clarity, then you'll be fine without chilling them.

Back