Pressure fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I have a Spike Flex+ with PRV. I am just getting into doing pressure fermentation and wonder what is the optimal, if there is one, pressure to use. My first two brews were ale's and I let them pressure up to 2psi. My current is a hefeweizen that I put at 5psi with CO2 then let it go. It's slowed down close to expected FG and is pressure is slowing going down. Currently at 2psi. I figure this is the beer absorbing the CO2. This is where my question comes. What pressure is a good spot to be in? Thanks!

I have the Spike Flex too. When pressure fermenting lagers, I close the PRV all the way to ferment at 15 psi. The research that John Blichmann and Chris White did revealed that the 1 bar pressure beer was better than the 2 bar and the lager fermented under normal circumstances. I'll see if I can find the results and post them here.

Here is the data on the pressure ferm:

Attachments

• PressureFerm (2).pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have the Spike Flex too. When pressure fermenting lagers, I close the PRV all the way to ferment at 15 psi. The research that John Blichmann and Chris White did revealed that the 1 bar pressure beer was better than the 2 bar and the lager fermented under normal circumstances. I'll see if I can find the results and post them here.
It really depends on your yeast. I called Whitelabs and the recommended 14-14.7psi. I am currently Fermenting under pressure into my 5th day. I attempted to do a trub dump and my pressure dropped from 14psi to 10psi. I have noticed that over a 5-7 day period, the psi will start dropping if you are naturally Carbonating. Otherwise you plug your gas CO2 to maintain pressure which is a waste of CO2.

I have noticed that over a 5-7 day period, the psi will start dropping if you are naturally Carbonating. Otherwise you plug your gas CO2 to maintain pressure which is a waste of CO2.
I noticed this. My two FV going now I set to 10 psi, both dropped to 0 quickly. One is finally up to 5 psi and one (big stout) going on back to 10 psi.

I noticed this. My two FV going now I set to 10 psi, both dropped to 0 quickly. One is finally up to 5 psi and one (big stout) going on back to 10 psi.
You must pressure test your FV prior to using a PRV! I was loosing pressure quick until I found the leak. One time it was the PRV gas post not tight enough with tape, the second leak was the LID on my CF5. The lid must be tighten till the Gap is about a 1/4" apart according to Spike instructions. I also put some screw lubricant to make the crank turn easier.

Back