Question about your CO2 prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wake county NC, only checked my LHBS places so far. One does refills $13 for a 5lb $30 for a 20lb. Another place does exchanges $20 for either 5 or 20lb works out pretty well if i can find a 20lb tank. Need to call and check local beer distributors, firehouses and welding shops as mentioned in this thread.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find cheap 20lb tanks? Can never find anything on craigslist and online or at my LHBS its like $140 for a new tank. I was thinking of asking any shops that do exchanges if i could exchange my 5lb for a 20lb and pay the difference :D

I know Charlotte NC is a hike for you, but I picked up a 20# CO2 tank off Craigslist for $75 the other day. I didn't even bother to look at the cert date since after I use the gas, I'll take to Praxair and swap it out. I never have seen them look at a date anyway.

I know Charlotte NC is a hike for you, but I picked up a 20# CO2 tank off Craigslist for $75 the other day. I didn't even bother to look at the cert date since after I use the gas, I'll take to Praxair and swap it out. I never have seen them look at a date anyway.

Praxair checked the date on mine, but they only charge $13 for it.

after eight years of no price changes, local place upped their cost:

5 lb - $7 ($1.40/lb)
10 lb - $13 ($1.30/lb)
15 lb - $18 ($1.20/lb)
20 lb - $25 ($1.25/lb)
i hadn't stopped in for a while but prices jumped way up

5 lb - $15 ($3/lb)
10 lb - $25 ($2.50/lb)
15 lb - $35 ($2.33/lb)
20 lb - $50 ($2.50/lb)

weird how the 15 lb is cheapest per pound...

St. Louis LHBS refilled on the spot.

CO2 Fill Amount Price
< 5 Lbs $3 per lb
5 Lb cylinder $14.99
10 Lb cylinder $19.99
15 Lb Cylinder $22.99
20 Lb cylinder $25.99

Wow some of you guys pay a fortune for gas. I swap #20 lb for around $22. Think its around $30 for a 20 & 5 lb tank. I always bring beer for them, few times i wasn't charged :)

My LHBS charges $20 to fill my 5# tank. I can get it cheaper doing an exchange at a nearby welding supply store, but I bought some shiny new tanks and want to keep them. Also the LHBS is the only one around so I like to support them.

My LHBS charges $20 to fill my 5# tank. I can get it cheaper doing an exchange at a nearby welding supply store, but I bought some shiny new tanks and want to keep them. Also the LHBS is the only one around so I like to support them.
I understand about supporting your LHBS, but $4 a pound is friggin' pushing it.
When your tank needs to be recertified, >5 years past the stamped date, it's time to swap.

One LHBS in my area is still charging $3.60 a pound, regardless of tank size. :tank:
The other one sends everyone to the Laurel, MD gas outfit.

Time to look elsewhere...

best i can find is about 40 miles away but better price on the 20 lb, only about $28 (compared to $50 local). even factoring in gas prices to drive there, still ahead $10 or so. it is where the in-laws live, i'm sure i'll have an excuse to head there sometime.

5 lb was not a good deal, actually more than local ($17 vs $15).

$25 for a 20 lb tank exchange. Sometimes they add some sort of a safety fee on, most of the time when I ask about it, they remove the fee.

I need to get a 10lb tank(largest that would fit in my kegerator). Seems to be cheaper per pound with larger tanks. Prices paid in Chambersburg PA.

2.5# was $13
5# was $17

I need to get a 10lb tank(largest that would fit in my kegerator). Seems to be cheaper per pound with larger tanks. Prices paid in Chambersburg PA.

2.5# was $13
5# was $17
You can use a larger tank if placed outside the kegerator.

I swap my tanks at the homebrew shop because I refuse to deal with our local welding supply shops other than my once yearly argon exchange for TIG welding. They swap the tanks, not fill, but I didn't have nice looking tanks to begin with. And no one but me sees them anyway.

5lb exchange is $17. 20lb exchange is $33.

I just swapped my 20# cylinder at a local hydroponics store, they charged me $7.52 including tax. The store is a chain of stores with locations throughout Colorado. They only do 20#, no other sizes. Swap only.

$24 for 5lb in Sacramento from a fire supply store. Could probably get cheaper if I went to Praxair and swapped, but I like my shiny alum tank and don’t go through it fast enough.

I pay $30 per 20 lb tank swap out (no worries on hydrotesting date stamps when you swap out). The gas comes to me via a route driver. I don't have to go get it, I don't have to get it filled, and I don't have to worry about the date stamp.

Airgas $69.16 total for 2x20lb tanks swapped out. I didn't bother to read the itemized bill...I just brought them 2 empties and picked up two full tanks...I let them worry about the hydro dates and such...

so $35 for 20#s

Maybe I will bring in my personal (not for exchange) brand new aluminum 20 and see what they charge to fill vice swap? they filled it once but I don't recall the cost.

I've only have AWG (formerly ScottGross) shop that due to demand started offering 5# aluminum tank swaps. It runs ~$25. Otherwise I can drive an hour to the closest city and have it filled for ~$15.

Don't think I have many options for CO2 in CC, TX... I could be wrong. I would think any of the other local options are first buying in bulk from Airgas anyway???

But how many kegs can I get out of a single 20? Probably enough not to worry too much over the price? I've never actually logged my CO2 use.

Don't think I have many options for CO2 in CC, TX... I could be wrong. I would think any of the other local options are first buying in bulk from Airgas anyway???

You would think so, but Airgas is the most expensive option here, and twice the price that I pay.

I fill at my LHBS and it's $18.50 for a 5lb canister. They get them in bulk from the local welding shop. I can go directly to the welding shop for about $11-12, but the LHBS is a couple minutes closer and I don't mind supporting them.

I had a leak in one of my kegs and blew through two bottles in the last month. Just swapped one today, and I'll be retiring the leaky keg.

I average three sixth barrels on tap and I get about 1 1/2 years out of a 20 pound tank.

I swap mine at a local welding supply store. $25.43 for 20# and 16.33 for 5#. Food grade.
They also do little projects for me. The last one was welding the broken handle on one of my kettle lids that was dropped.

I just swapped my 20# cylinder at a local hydroponics store, they charged me $7.52 including tax. The store is a chain of stores with locations throughout Colorado. They only do 20#, no other sizes. Swap only.
Holy sh#t, that's cheap.

Latest posts

Back