Question about your CO2 prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
So I've basically got two options for CO2 in my town. Well, probably more, but these two are super convenient on my daily commute. One is Airgas, one is Praxair. I went to Airgas for my first fill up. They actually did a tank exchange, not a fill up. I think it cost me about $20 or $23 or so. I thought that was kind of high.

Next time, which was a few days ago, I needed more gas. So this time I went to Praxair to see if they were any better. Same deal, no fill up just a tank exchange. Well, the gas was cheaper ($15) but the total was $21 and change because there's a $4.99 charge on the receipt for "Hazardous Material Charge." What the crap is that? Maybe that's standard and maybe Airgas charges it too but it wasn't listed on the receipt. I didn't even think CO2 was "hazardous" anyway. Can anyone enlighten me? Am I getting screwed on CO2 prices?

Here in Pittsburgh I found a place that does tank exchanges for my 20# for around $15. other places that do filling always seem to be way more expensive, and this place seems to go out of it's way to give you like to like. You bring Aluminum they give back aluminum, etc.

I've been saying it on all these same type of questions. Find the local fire extinguisher place (Google or go to a Walgreens or any business they source out their extinguishers) and go there. They usually will just fill your tank and it's usually pretty cheap, no crazy material charges or whatever. Hell the last 2 times he has just filled it and not even charged me.

My LHBS fills Co2 for $3/lb. I will never go back to airgas again. I will fill my Co2 tank with my own breath before going back there. Biggest a$$holes Ive ever met (and Ive been to multiple locations) and crappiest policies. Really I have to exchange or leave my tank with you to fill it? It takes 60 seconds to fill one. And Im not gonna pay 25 bucks for a 5lb fill. Airgas can suck it

I use Airgas, and get a 20# refill for $23. I leave my tank on the dock, walk in, they swap out the tank, I pay, and I leave. Not sure what kind of policies kev is talking about and what policies they may have in other places, but here there is no hassle at all.

I use Airgas, and get a 20# refill for $23. I leave my tank on the dock, walk in, they swap out the tank, I pay, and I leave. Not sure what kind of policies kev is talking about and what policies they may have in other places, but here there is no hassle at all.

Then Im coming to your airgas haha. Ive been to 3 different airgas's multiple times here in San Diego and they all have the same policy... Leave it for 2 days (minimum) and its $25 dollars for a 5lb fill up.

Works exactly the same way at West Penn Laco. Any welding supply store should be able to do well for co2 refills. I find most LBHS or Beer Dists charge excess prices for refilling due to the certifications and all that they have to do on the refill machine. Unless you really love you own tank, just do the swap out for easily half price imo. (also, they tend to clean and repaint the tanks when they swap so it always looks nice)

+1 to the fire extinguisher place.
Also, the bigger the bottle the cheaper it is per pound where I go.
2 1/2 Lb. bottle = $20
5 Lb. bottle = $25
20 Lb. bottle = $35

My first bottle (a 20 Lb. bottle) I exchanged at airgas and they had some extra fee that I was told goes toward the periodic testing of the bottles.

Then I bought a 5 Lb. aluminum tank that I refused to swap. The fire extinguisher service tech happened to be at my place of work at the time and I realized our extinguishers are CO2, I asked if they filled bottles for beer kegerators and he said yes, just take them to our place.

Now, the only time I will use airgas is when my steel tank expires because it will be cheaper to pay their fee than to pay the extinguisher company to test it.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try the fire extinguisher place next time. Which hopefully isn't in the near future.

My first full 5# tank only lasted about a keg and a half. However, I had some issues with the regulator and sprayed some gas a few times, force carbing, filling bottles with the wand, all that. So I'm hoping this tank lasts much longer.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try the fire extinguisher place next time. Which hopefully isn't in the near future.

My first full 5# tank only lasted about a keg and a half. However, I had some issues with the regulator and sprayed some gas a few times, force carbing, filling bottles with the wand, all that. So I'm hoping this tank lasts much longer.

Ya that is less than optimal. I usually get about 6-7, 5 gallon kegs force carbed and served with a 5lb tank

In the middle of nowhere Indiana where i live, a 5# tank swap costs $13 at the local welding supply place.

So I've basically got two options for CO2 in my town. Well, probably more, but these two are super convenient on my daily commute. One is Airgas, one is Praxair. I went to Airgas for my first fill up. They actually did a tank exchange, not a fill up. I think it cost me about $20 or $23 or so. I thought that was kind of high.

Next time, which was a few days ago, I needed more gas. So this time I went to Praxair to see if they were any better. Same deal, no fill up just a tank exchange. Well, the gas was cheaper ($15) but the total was $21 and change because there's a $4.99 charge on the receipt for "Hazardous Material Charge." What the crap is that? Maybe that's standard and maybe Airgas charges it too but it wasn't listed on the receipt. I didn't even think CO2 was "hazardous" anyway. Can anyone enlighten me? Am I getting screwed on CO2 prices?

I almost made a post on this yesterday on prices as well! Yesterday on my way to work I stopped at Airgas to refill my 5# tank. In the past it has always cost me $17 or so. I haven't had to refill it since last year. So I unload my tank and go inside to pay, and the total came to $28 for a 5# swap AFTER getting a $4 discount from having an account with them. WHAT? I questioned him and he said they had a price increase at the beginning of the year.. obviously! I just couldn't believe the price jump.

My LHBS fills Co2 for $3/lb. I will never go back to airgas again. I will fill my Co2 tank with my own breath before going back there. Biggest a$$holes Ive ever met (and Ive been to multiple locations) and crappiest policies. Really I have to exchange or leave my tank with you to fill it? It takes 60 seconds to fill one. And Im not gonna pay 25 bucks for a 5lb fill. Airgas can suck it

You'd be getting screwed if you're getting anything larger than a 5 lb tank filled there. $30 for a 10 lb or $45 for a 15 lb is way excessive.

You'd be getting screwed if you're getting anything larger than a 5 lb tank filled there. $30 for a 10 lb or $45 for a 15 lb is way excessive.

It may be cheaper for a larger tank. All I know is that for my 5 lb tank its $15

I pay about $24 to fill my 20lb tank at Praxair here in Los Angeles.

Damn, I just called a local fire extinguisher place, they charge $22.50 for a 5# tank. What the hell??

Thanks a lot, Obama [/kidding]

I used to use a welding place, but the price kept going up. They added environmental fees, and every time I went in I got a different price per pound. I felt like I was getting ripped off because I was a home brewer.

Last time I went there, I paid $27 for 5 lbs. The last straw was when they swapped out a tank and gave me one that was close to expiration. When I returned it, they hit me up for a $30 recertification fee because it expired. Why am I paying for that on a tank swap? It's their tank.

We have a local place, Keg Works. I go there now. Last time I was there it was $15 for 5 lbs. No fees, no disposal charges.

It may be cheaper for a larger tank. All I know is that for my 5 lb tank its $15

Ah, ok. I thought you were saying that was how they charged for co2 rather than calculating your price per pound based on that purchase.

To add another reference point to this thread, my local weld shop/gas distributor charged me $13.38 for a 10 lb exchange and 15.11 for a 15 lb exchange, plus a $3.50 hazmat fee per order. I usually try to exchange both of my tanks at the same time so I'm only paying 1 hazmat fee. I've never checked on praxair or airgas as I wouldn't expect them to be cheaper than this.

My local place does fills for $3/lb. Great for anything five pounds and under, and most other places will run you around $20. If you've got something bigger, then it's not a good deal. But for me and my two five pounders, it's perfect.

I used to use a welding place, but the price kept going up. They added environmental fees, and every time I went in I got a different price per pound. I felt like I was getting ripped off because I was a home brewer.

Last time I went there, I paid $27 for 5 lbs. The last straw was when they swapped out a tank and gave me one that was close to expiration. When I returned it, they hit me up for a $30 recertification fee because it expired. Why am I paying for that on a tank swap? It's their tank.

We have a local place, Keg Works. I go there now. Last time I was there it was $15 for 5 lbs. No fees, no disposal charges.
I agree. I think I experienced something similar at Praxair. Watching the exchange between the two workers behind the counter, it seemed like they didn't have a set price and just charged me whatever. Really pisses me off. After calling the fire ext. place and finding out they charge $22.50, I'm kind of screwed here.

Yikes. I can't be the only one that has a beer distributor that only charges me $3 for my 5 pounder. I would check all your distributors first

Yikes. I can't be the only one that has a beer distributor that only charges me $3 for my 5 pounder. I would check all your distributors first

The ones I've contacted say they're unable to sell to the general public and usually point me to the usual places that have been discussed already.

I pay less than $20 after tax for refilling my 10# tank at the fire extinguisher place near my house. I just bring it in and they'll fill it up there while I wait. I've also noticed that the turn on the CO2 for about 30-60 seconds before filling the tank (I assume to flush the lines), is this a common practice? If so then it would explain why there's not much of a price difference between the 5# and 10# tanks.

Local welding supply shop, if you have an account with them and own your tank it's $15 for 5 lb. My tank is brand new and aluminum, I wouldn't want them to swap it.

My 5# tanks at the LHBS are 22$ for an exchange. Before I moved, I was really close to an Airgas, who just refilled my tank (with my account) for 12-15$.

Airgas swapped my 5# for right around $20. They swapped my 10# for only a few dollars more. I can't recall exactly what I paid, but I was unhappy with the 5# price, but thrilled with the 10#. I'll likely not look for another company, simply because they are conveniently located for me to stop in on my way home from work.

Back