Question about Stout an recipe ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So i made a stout recently and used Malted barley in it. I have a lot of roasted coffee taste comming from it. What if I wanted to make a stout without any of that coffee taste and aroma? Would I exclude malted barley all together and just use strictly black patent malt? think of Guiness...hardly no coffee taste...:tank:

So i made a stout recently and used Malted barley in it. I have a lot of roasted coffee taste comming from it. What if I wanted to make a stout without any of that coffee taste and aroma? Would I exclude malted barley all together and just use strictly black patent malt? think of Guiness...hardly no coffee taste...:tank:

You have it backwards :) I am assuming you mean malted barley as in 2-row barley? Malted barley makes up pretty much 80+% of all the grains we use in brewing and is necesary in every typical recipe.

Black patent is a VERY powerful malt. It gives beers a roast, coffee and in my opinion and astringent taste.

Cut back on the black patent a LOT. I think more than 3/4 of a pound in 5 gallons the maximum threashold.

Ah, gotchya now! I knew something didn't add up!

I think roasted barley is a toned down version of black patent and if you don't like the crazy roastiness, then I would cut them both out and try just chocolate malt.

I think guiness has some coffee tones to it, and coffee/roasty are part of the defining characteristics of a stout. Maybe look for an actual guiness clone?

Yeah I did. Surprisingly did not find too much. I'll come up with something. Just was curious if anyone has made one similar to guiness

Try looking at porter recipes. Porters are dark and roasty but never use roasted barley. They get the flavor from other roasted malts like chocolate malt, etc.

Back