Question about oktoberfest style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedsolo

Reaction score
I am brewing an Oktoberfest and putting it in a glass carboy initially. I have read anywhere from 10 days to 5 weeks is the fermentation period in the carboy.

I am kind of a new to home brewing and any advice would be appreciated.

advice would be greatly appreciated.

5-7 days starting with a temperature of 42*and kept under 52* during this time. I then rack over to a secondary and drop the temperature 1 degree per day down to 33* I hold it there for 24 days then rack to a keg hit it with 30psi to set the seal and purge 3 times then let it sit cold for another 1-2 months to "Traditional lager" at 38*

5-7 days starting with a temperature of 42*and kept under 52* during this time. I then rack over to a secondary and drop the temperature 1 degree per day down to 33* I hold it there for 24 days then rack to a keg hit it with 30psi to set the seal and purge 3 times then let it sit cold for another 1-2 months to "Traditional lager" at 38*

beaksnbeer, why not the entire lagering period in secondary then rack to serving keg?

wickedsolo, beaksnbeer is using a traditional fermentation schedule which is excellent but can sometimes be difficult for us homebrewers since it is relying on excellent yeast health to reduce diacetyl even at 33*. Another option would be accelerated maturation employing a diacytl rest when you hit 75% or 80% attenuation at 60F to 70F. Also a recent thread of interest https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/oktoberfest-recipe-critique-requested-422126/

beaksnbeer, why not the entire lagering period in secondary then rack to serving keg?

wickedsolo, beaksnbeer is using a traditional fermentation schedule which is excellent but can sometimes be difficult for us homebrewers since it is relying on excellent yeast health to reduce diacetyl even at 33*. Another option would be accelerated maturation employing a diacytl rest when you hit 75% or 80% attenuation at 60F to 70F. Also a recent thread of interest https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/oktoberfest-recipe-critique-requested-422126/
I lager quite a few or cold crash others and so space is always needed in the fridge long term lagering in the keg takes less space and leads to a clearer beer.

I have read and done that as well and have found that the rise it temp for diacytl rest can lead to changes in the flavor (banana) profile enough that I prefer the Traditional style better. I do all my beers with starters in robust health, I assume most here that have the ability to lager already use a good starter. Another point of interest would be in keeping the protein levels as low as possible to keep the (solvent-like) flavors from forming if not pitching a a good starter as well.

A great book on lagering and brewing in general is Greg Noonan's "Brewing Lager Beer" is a must have IMHO if you plan on lagering often I have a spare copy if anyone is interested Pm me

Thanks for the reply beaksnbeer, I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to lagers. I have an older edition of Noonan's Brewing Lager but only browsed through it a bit. While I find lagers fascinating, I personally have an unfortunate weak nose and struggle to detect subtle off flavors. Still, I would like to be able to please friends, family and club members with my results. Cheers! :)

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was using an ale set up, so the cold lagering techniques may not be needed (I assume).

I brewed yesterday and the yeast has been super active the past 36 hours or so. The wort smelled great, so I guess I did something right.

I have it sitting in a bucket fermenter right now for about 6-7 days and then I am transferring it to a glass carboy for another week before bottling.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was using an ale set up, so the cold lagering techniques may not be needed (I assume).

I brewed yesterday and the yeast has been super active the past 36 hours or so. The wort smelled great, so I guess I did something right.

I have it sitting in a bucket fermenter right now for about 6-7 days and then I am transferring it to a glass carboy for another week before bottling.

Sounds great. If you're brewing this as an ale with ale yeast (not lager yeast) then its likely you'll have no need to secondary. Its common practice now to go from primary to keg/bottles with ales unless one is dry hopping or adding fruits. Go a few weeks in the primary then cold crash it as long as your FG has been reached. If you are bottling then let it warm back to room temperature before adding priming sugars. Best of luck :)

ShaineT said:
Sounds great. If you're brewing this as an ale with ale yeast (not lager yeast) then its likely you'll have no need to secondary. Its common practice now to go from primary to keg/bottles with ales unless one is dry hopping or adding fruits. Go a few weeks in the primary then cold crash it as long as your FG has been reached. If you are bottling then let it warm back to room temperature before adding priming sugars. Best of luck :)

So the secondary would really be if I wanted to add an extra element to the process?

Like a bourbon ale...soaking wood chips in bourbon and the dropping those into a secondary with the beer? Something like that?

Back