Newcomer question on 2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iiizuluiii

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I had a question about an issue I ran into a few days ago. (3 days ago).

I started brewing a few months ago. Using two 2.5 gal conical fermentors from brew demon.

This is batch 3. This recipe had a lot of trub, so much so, it covered my fermentors spigot. I emptied my brew after 2 weeks of fermenting into a bottling bucket. To try to separate the trub from beer. I Dumped the trub and put the beer back into the (clean and sanitized) fermentors for bottling. An emergency arose during this process and I could not start the bottling. The beer has been in the two fermentors for 3 days now. I want to bottle today, now that we're back home from.the hospital.

Should I not? Should I trash the beer? Have I ruined it by adding oxygen? I'm no expert, but viewing the forums for a few months, many of you are.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Some guy in the south.

I'm no expert, but viewing the forums for a few months, many of you are.
Some people on here are experts most of us are just opinionated amateurs.

Your beer is probably oxidized, although many used to transfer to a secondary and were happy with the results. Try a sample of the beer if it is good flat it might be worth bottling.

I usually don't give up on a beer until months after I have packaged it. If you're a new brewer go ahead and bottle it, gain some experience and practice. This is a great opportunity to learn and become a better brewer.

Maybe the beer tastes great! You'll never know until you try it. If it falls flat there's some things to avoid in the future. It's a win win.

What kind of beer is it? Obviously any beer can get oxidized, but the effects of oxidation can be much more pronounced on some styles than others. If it's a NEIPA it's likely toast, but if it's a stout you probably won't notice any ill effects.

What kind of beer is it? Obviously any beer can get oxidized, but the effects of oxidation can be much more pronounced on some styles than others. If it's a NEIPA it's likely toast, but if it's a stout you probably won't notice any ill effects.
It's a sour ale. My wife's favorite style of beer. I'm not the biggest fan, though I can enjoy then from time to time.

I think there are a few reasons to be hopeful. You're (presumably) not making a beer with a lot of hop flavor: very hoppy beers lose their flavor and turn brown quite quickly. Malt flavors are affected by oxidation, but much more slowly. And with a sour, any change in the maltiness/sweetness/cardboardiness is going to be less noticeable. Finally, because you have a second fermentation in the bottle, the metabolizing yeast will remove a number of the oxidation products. If you'd oxidized an IPA that you were going to keg, it'd be one thing, but you've pretty much got the beer least likely to suffer from this kind of treatment.

No expert here, but I will just reinforce what has already been said. Go for it!!!! If it is bad then what have you wasted? A few hours, some beer and a few carb tabs. If it is good, you have a nice 2.5 gallons of beer to enjoy. I too have thought I jacked up my brews, 5 gallons at a time here, only to listen to the sage advice of those here and went ahead with the process. What I found was, not only was the beer not bad, but it was pretty good too. No harm in finishing it and letting it age. Don't tell your wife and see what she says. My two cents, and believe me, that is about all it is worth.

Back