Mmmmm.... Swimming Pool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

land3r

Reaction score
1st batch ever sucked. Here are my final notes.

1701785100710.png

Figured I'd start a new post since there may be more helpful advice for chlorinated water.

Sure wish I would have known to check for chlorine treatment in water before starting, but I guess learning the hard way is better than not at all.
I do have a filter in the fridge, but it's apparently just for taste/smell rather than actually removing chlorine.

I've since learned it can be "removed" by letting the water sit out for 24 hours. Would have saved me about 5 weeks...

However, I don't know if it's related to the head/fizziness properties.
FWIW, having done it once so far, I'm not buying new equipment, but am definitely thinking about some of the pitfalls, particularly related to the filler and amount of waste during testing and remaining in the fermenter.

Any thoughts / strategies appreciated.

1st batch ever sucked. Here are my final notes.

View attachment 835736

Figured I'd start a new post since there may be more helpful advice for chlorinated water.

Sure wish I would have known to check for chlorine treatment in water before starting, but I guess learning the hard way is better than not at all.
I do have a filter in the fridge, but it's apparently just for taste/smell rather than actually removing chlorine.

I've since learned it can be "removed" by letting the water sit out for 24 hours. Would have saved me about 5 weeks...

However, I don't know if it's related to the head/fizziness properties.
FWIW, having done it once so far, I'm not buying new equipment, but am definitely thinking about some of the pitfalls, particularly related to the filler and amount of waste during testing and remaining in the fermenter.

Any thoughts / strategies appreciated.
Campden tablets are a good investment. You can bypass leaving the water sitting for 24 hours, which is great for me because my doggos would just drink it anyway unless I put it outside where worse stuff than dog slobber would get into it …or cover it which, I believe, defeats the purpose.
As far as the issue with waste during testing goes, I’m afraid the only solution is new equipment. A refractometer uses only a few drops to get a reading. They’re handy but significantly more expensive than a hydrometer which doesn’t meet the “ not getting new equipment” criteria. You could also sanitize your graduated cylinder and hydrometer when measuring beer from the fermenter and pour it back in but that risks oxidation and infection…I have seen it done though… just be superduper careful if you try it.

That’s all I can offer, I’m kind of a noob to this as well since I haven’t brewed anything in a decade…so someone with more knowledge than myself may be able to give better insight. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

I do extract kit brewing and use distilled water from the grocery store for about a buck a gallon. Don't do an sg check until at least 3 weeks then then another in a couple of days to make sure it's done. Drink the sample (quality assurance!) or follow return-to-fermenter process noted by @PashMaddle . Good luck!🍻

Thanks all - I've ordered the campden tablets, though it's for speed, as my local water co. noted they use chlorine.
Any recommendations for a refractometer? There are like 400 on Amazon that all look identical...

FYI - regarding the SG check - I did one on brewing day, at 1 week, and after another week on bottling day. I didn't do the last check because of how wasteful it was...

Last edited:
If you're sure you don't have chloramines, a brita filter will remove 95% of chlorine. Zerowater filters remove 99% of chlorine (and 99.6% of total dissolved solids). They're kinda pricey though.

If you're sure you don't have chloramines, a brita filter will remove 95% of chlorine. Zerowater filters remove 99% of chlorine (and 99.6% of total dissolved solids). They're kinda pricey though.
Pretty sure - I asked the guy who's in charge of our township water.

Thanks all - I've ordered the campden tablets, though it's for speed, as my local water co. noted they use chlorine.
Any recommendations for a refractometer? There are like 400 on Amazon that all look identical...

FYI - regarding the SG check - I did one on brewing day, at 1 week, and after another week on bottling day. I didn't do the last check because of how wasteful it was...
https://www.amazon.com/Brix-Refractometer-ATC-Dual-Scale/dp/B01LW2ZU6R
It's only good for gravity readings from your kettle. Doesn't read the same when alcohol is present ie during fermentation. You'll have to use something like this when alcohol is present: Refractometer Calculator - Brewer's Friend

Latest posts

Back