Question about hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading about how hops are produced and the text I was reading said that after picking, the cones are dried in a stream of hot air to remove some of the moisture. I was thinking that the aroma - i.e. essential oils are far more volatile than water - so how do they remain in the processed hops?

Drying removes about 95% of the moisture and reduces hop weight by a factor of 5-8. The air temperature is typically around 100-120F. You do lose some of the most volatile oils, which is why Fresh Hop ales brewed during harvest time are special. However, brewing recipes are designed around hops that have been hot-air dried and most of the oils are intact.

Hop dryer

2113-img_0999.jpg

Look for Sierra Nevada's Harvest Fresh Hop Ale to come out around Oct 1st in 24oz bottles. The hops are used within 24hrs of being harvested.

david_42 said:
Drying removes about 95% of the moisture and reduces hop weight by a factor of 5-8. The air temperature is typically around 100-120F. You do lose some of the most volatile oils, which is why Fresh Hop ales brewed during harvest time are special. However, brewing recipes are designed around hops that have been hot-air dried and most of the oils are intact.

Hop dryer

2113-img_0999.jpg

You know, every time I see that photo I can only just close my eyes and imagine the aroma! :D

Back