Question about braided mash filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
Building my first mash tun and using a braided water hose for the filter. Will the grains I brew with in an all grain batch be heavy enough to crush the braided hose at the bottom? If so, how can I prevent this?

it's possible. hard to know without knowing how much grain you're putting in. there are lots of peeps that will take copper wire, make it into a spiral and insert that into the braided hose. Seems to work for them!

I initially had a braided stainless mesh filter in my round cooler mash tun without any sort of anti-crush mechanism and I didn't have much problem draining at the end of the mash. The bigger issue was the braid coming up off the bottom of the cooler due to stirring. I eventually went to a bazooka tube on that mash tun (by the time you consider labor and cost of fittings, you'll probably break even between the two).

But if you're set on the braided stainless mesh hose and you want something to prevent it from collapsing, you could put a spiral of solid copper wire in there. But I didn't find it necessary in my experience.

This depends on a lot of variables, like how much grain you are using, the shape of your mash tun, and the quality of your braid. The most common fix is to make a coil with a heavy wire and insert that in the braid. I have seen both copper and stainless steel used.

Personally, I would go with a Wilserbrewer bag instead as it guarantees no stuck sparges and has multiple uses.

This depends on a lot of variables, like how much grain you are using, the shape of your mash tun, and the quality of your braid. The most common fix is to make a coil with a heavy wire and insert that in the braid. I have seen both copper and stainless steel used.

Personally, I would go with a Wilserbrewer bag instead as it guarantees no stuck sparges and has multiple uses.

Interesting. I have a 10-gallon mash tun (round cooler) and I have not had a stuck sparge. I use a braided toilet line. I've brewed several quads and RIS (essentially maxing-out the mash tun) and have not had an issue.

I cannot speak for everyone else. But, when I drain the first-runnings or sparge, I open the valve roughly 1/4 of the way and ensure there is a good flow before I begin opening the valve some more until all of the wort drains.

Interesting. I have a 10-gallon mash tun (round cooler) and I have not had a stuck sparge. I use a braided toilet line. I've brewed several quads and RIS (essentially maxing-out the mash tun) and have not had an issue.

I cannot speak for everyone else. But, when I drain the first-runnings or sparge, I open the valve roughly 1/4 of the way and ensure there is a good flow before I begin opening the valve some more until all of the wort drains.

That is what I used to do as well only have the braided line inside of a bazooka tube as a last chance finer filter. I recirculated with small pumps for the full mash time ... I still use a 36" long piece of braided line under my bayou classic false bottom. This prevents any grain from getting through and into my pumps.

Back