Quart, US / UK, WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
:drunk:

Okay I got meself a nice pot today for my new foray into steeping / mashing, etc.
It is 32 Quarts and so now I am really confused about the sizes... my carboy and recipes I've made in the past say they are 5 gallons or 23 liters. this is UK gallons then, because 5 US gallons is only 18.9 liters.

I guess I need to fill my carboy with liters, and then dump into pot to find out for sure what this pot holds...

I am more confused also by Orfy's Hobgoblin II clone as it states (in the beersmith file) that it is 18.9 liters..... so actually smaller than the typical 5 UK gallons (23 liters) I usually make?

If I make a recipe (like the hobgoblin) based on 18.9 liters, and top up to 23 liters.... would it have a huge negative effect? the OG would be a lot lower than it should be in that case I think, right? so I need to convert the 18.9 liter recipe to a 23 liter recipe so it comes out proper....

lots of stuff, trying to RDWHAHB but im all out of ready stuff so I am RDWHA-rickards. :cross:

You need to convert the recipe to 23 L in order to maintain the balance.

You need to thank Ronald Reagan for backing out of converting the US to the worldwide metric standard...

GT

In the US the common batch size for beer is 5 US gallons or 18.9 l. Many wine kits claim to make 6 gal or 23 l, although 23 l is slightly larger than 6 gal. And it appears that 6 US gallons = 5 Imperial gallons.

Orfy probably made a 23l batch but scaled the recipe to 5 US gallons for all of us yanks. You should scale the recipe by 6/5 if you wish to maintain the intended results.

Because of the difficulty a dealing with all of these odd measurements I usually use metric measurements myself. It is much easier to do kg and g instead of pounds and oz. Or liters and milliliters instead of gallons and quarts. Especially when you have several different definitions of a quart and gallon.

Craig

Back