Quarantined in Wuhan - Name my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I name this beer?

• Quarantine Ale

• Anything but Corona

• 2% Mortality

• Just a Flu

• Other (post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Does the winner get a six-pack of your brew after you choose? If so, do we have to quarantine the bottles for 14 days?

Joking aside, wishing you and your family (and community) the best and hopeful recoveries for those affected.

Mind if I ask what you do profession-wise in China?

Cheers!

Looks like "Anything But Corona" has it. Nice bonus that I can just write "ABC" on the caps.

Does the winner get a six-pack of your brew after you choose? If so, do we have to quarantine the bottles for 14 days?

Joking aside, wishing you and your family (and community) the best and hopeful recoveries for those affected.

Mind if I ask what you do profession-wise in China?

Cheers!
I'll hand-deliver it to you, but you gotta drink all six from the bottle without washing the bottles or your hands, haha!

I'm an English teacher like most working expats here. 11 years of kindergarten and I've finally graduated to third grade this year. It's a nice change. Of course, now I'm doing it all remotely by making videos and worksheets that we send to the kids every day. There are those who say I'll be back in the classroom within a month or so, and others who say there's very little chance I see my students face to face until I get a new batch after the summer...

Haha, none of his books are "literature". Still, I love the post-apocalypse genre. Read The Road (McCarthy) for a big boy version of same. In fact, though I think this virus is just a +1 version of the typical flu, these plots keep popping into my head. (Vonnegut Galapogos, too).

The lyrics to the children's poem Ring Around the Rosie reference the bubonic plague (which killed 1/3 of Euorope in 14th century). Maybe a name there.

What about "Shawshank Redemption?" It may not be Shakespeare, or not even Faulkner, Twain or Hemingway, but it certainly is literature. Even Shakespeare was considered lowbrow, for-the-masses 'contemporary' entertainment in his day. While I agree that Stephen King is just an average author pandering to a mass-appeal audience, I can still read him and be entertained, just like a Tom Clancy page-turner. I read a lot of his books when I was living in Maine in the 70s and his popularity was at its zenith. Not so much any more.

Of course, back then I also thought Budweiser was good beer. So there's that.

Brooo Brother

P.S. Be safe and well, FatDragon. You're in our thoughts.

Of course by USMC you are referring to United States Navy, Junior Auxiliary Division, I presume.

Brooo Brother
USN, 1973-1994

You darn sailors. Always trying to remind us Marines that we are in The Department of the Navy, and you’re right. THE MENS DEPARTMENT.

Semper Fi, Devil Duck.

You darn sailors. Always trying to remind us Marines that we are in The Department of the Navy, and you’re right. THE MENS DEPARTMENT.

Semper Fi, Devil Duck.

I've always had a lasting if not grudge-worthy respect for our little helpers in the USMC! :goat:

Over my time in service I actually spent more than five years in join Navy-Marine Corps squadrons. Along my way to commissioning I had the option to pursue a Marine Corps 2nd Lieutenant appointment. At the time a Navy commission held better career aviation opportunities than the USMC. I've worked for and with Marines, and have had Marines work for me. Never a finer group of individuals. Never a finer honor. Semper Fi.

Brooo Brother

I've always had a lasting if not grudge-worthy respect for our little helpers in the USMC! :goat:

Over my time in service I actually spent more than five years in join Navy-Marine Corps squadrons. Along my way to commissioning I had the option to pursue a Marine Corps 2nd Lieutenant appointment. At the time a Navy commission held better career aviation opportunities than the USMC. I've worked for and with Marines, and have had Marines work for me. Never a finer group of individuals. Never a finer honor. Semper Fi.

Brooo Brother

My older brother was a helo pilot and then flight instructor for the USMC.

So I'll jump in with the thing he told me once that has stuck with me, and which all USN/USMC folks might agree.

It was when he was still a reservist during Desert Storm, prior to being an aviator, sleeping in tents guarding water while the Air Force folks were basically put up in near-hotels.

"The Air Force. They're the finest paramilitary organization the world's ever seen..."

I know the polling is closed but how about making a label that looks like a Christmas present label then sign it To: The World From: Wuhan the beer name could by either White Elephant or Dirty Santa depending on local traditions

I know I'm late to the party here and agree anything But Corona is a good name but here are my ideas anyway:

Stuck fermentation
Bottled up emotion
Lockdown lager
I Corona go outside
The vaccinator
Fever pitch

Good luck with everything and above all RDWHAHB

My older brother was a helo pilot and then flight instructor for the USMC.

So I'll jump in with the thing he told me once that has stuck with me, and which all USN/USMC folks might agree.

It was when he was still a reservist during Desert Storm, prior to being an aviator, sleeping in tents guarding water while the Air Force folks were basically put up in near-hotels.

"The Air Force. They're the finest paramilitary organization the world's ever seen..."

I've got more than a few stories like that, and not all of them "jealousy."

Like the time in a joint services exercise with Air Force AWACS planes in Puerto Rico. They (AF) had quite a few enlisted air crew members. According to their crew berthing guidelines, the Navy enlisted quarters were substandard, yet they were perfectly fine for our ground pounders. I was a late night arrival, and when I went in to check in to the Bachelor (unaccompanied) Officers Quarters I was informed that the "Q" was full due to AF enlisted crew members being billeted in Officer quarters. There was a 'single' E-5 AF sergeant billeted alone in 'my' room, so I had to share a two person room (me on a roll away bed) with two other Navy officers, all of us O-5 Commanders who rated private quarters. I would have preferred a tent.

We used to joke that the Navy spent all its budget on aircraft carriers, then had to go crawling to Congress for more money to buy airplanes and spare parts. The Air Force would buy the land, build a golf course, construct beautiful quarters and clubs for personnel, then go to Congress demanding more $$$ to build a runway.

I kinda' miss the camaraderie of raising a glass to 'salute' our sister services.

Brooo Brother

So we've established navy good, air force bad.

Naw... the Zoomies aren't "bad". It just takes 3 to 4 times as many of them to accomplish the mission that a squadron detachment of Naval Aviators (Marines are also Naval Aviators) can do twice as fast at 1/4 th the cost. They need a 10,000' runway nearby. We take ours along with us.

But the greatest distinction between Navy and Air Force is: all Navy pilots have landed on long runways, but very few Air Force pilots have landed on an aircraft carrier.

Brooo Brother

We were at the grocery store yesterday and while my wife was picking out lemons, a latino guy next to her buying limes said "these are for the coronas! *wink*", we all had a laugh but I was suddenly gripped by an urge to purchase and drink a bunch of Coronas with lime.

We had four more confirmed cases in Chicago today and I am starting to dread riding the train into downtown every morning. So far I haven't seen any sanitizing crews working while the trains are idling and very few passengers wearing masks while they all seem to casually grab the hand railings as if everything were normal. Weird since all the local stores are sold out of hand sanitizer and face masks, guess all those folks are self-quarantined at home.

In other news: my requisition for an emotional support helicopter seems to be caught up in channels.

ABCorona.png

Now it's time to ask myself, is it worth risking the wife's ire if I use up some of our limited printer paper to print these up?

We were at the grocery store yesterday and while my wife was picking out lemons, a latino guy next to her buying limes said "these are for the coronas! *wink*", we all had a laugh but I was suddenly gripped by an urge to purchase and drink a bunch of Coronas with lime.

We had four more confirmed cases in Chicago today and I am starting to dread riding the train into downtown every morning. So far I haven't seen any sanitizing crews working while the trains are idling and very few passengers wearing masks while they all seem to casually grab the hand railings as if everything were normal. Weird since all the local stores are sold out of hand sanitizer and face masks, guess all those folks are self-quarantined at home.

In other news: my requisition for an emotional support helicopter seems to be caught up in channels.

HELICOPTERS!!!???!!!

Man, those things are DANGEROUS! For those of us with roots in the fixed-wing aviation community, helos are referred to as "one million parts flying in close formation all trying to kill you."

Of course that philosophy (pre 1980s) comes from an era when sex was 'safe' and 'flying' wasn't, instead of the other way around.

Brooo Brother

At this point anyone who doesn't take this crisis seriously, is themselves not serious.

In other news, the NCAA cancelled March madness and the NBA suspended the season. Now what will we watch? More hysterical news coverage about the sniffles?

Last edited:
Hey @FatDragon how are you doing?

I just heard from a colleague of mine in Dongguan city, she said the virus is subsiding and public transit is opening back up. Hope you and yours are in tip top, please let us know.

Today they put the SF Bay Area on a shelter in place order, closing bar and restaurants for the next 3 weeks. Not overly restrictive but they are tell people to stay home unless you really must leave. Looks like I will be starting my own series of ABC beers.

Hey @FatDragon how are you doing?

I just heard from a colleague of mine in Dongguan city, she said the virus is subsiding and public transit is opening back up. Hope you and yours are in tip top, please let us know.
There's word that public transportation will start ramping up in the next couple weeks here in Wuhan, though for now communities are still largely closed so they'll have to open up before many people need to use public transportation. Technically, there's still no official timeline on opening the city, but it's starting to feel like it's on the horizon.

Meanwhile, things are just starting for you guys. Stay safe and wash your dang hands regularly!

Back