Quarantined in Wuhan - Name my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I name this beer?

• Quarantine Ale

• Anything but Corona

• 2% Mortality

• Just a Flu

• Other (post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My family and I are quarantined in Wuhan and have been for about 40 days now. You'd think I'd have nothing but time, but with a three year-old son and a one year-old daughter, that's just not the case.

However, I finally got around to brewing a beer. It's a bit of a leftovers brew - I've got plenty of grain but only scattershot hops, and for yeast, just a couple old packs of S-33 and one of Lallemand Abbaye. The recipe is as follows:

30 L RO water plus 6 g gypsum, 4 g CaCl, and 6 ml 80% Lactic Acid (21 L mash, 9 L sparge)

4 kg low-potential Aussie-grown, China-malted 2-row
540 g Biscuit from the same grain
300 g Weyermann Munich

Mashed overnight starting at 65 C.

10 g Magnum @ 90 min
50 g Cascade and 30g Simcoe @ 30 min. whirlpool (beginning at 85 C)
50 g Cascade and 30g Simcoe Dry Hop

S-33 @ ambient (around 18-19 C) because my fermentation freezer is full of food.

So yeah, it's a leftovers ale for sure. I'm planning on shunting off about 4L on the stepped-up dregs from a Fantome Dark White to see if I can make something interesting that way (which would potentially also serve as a starter for my next beer if it makes something good).

Anyway, beer names. Here are some ideas I've come up with so far:

Quarantine Ale (speaks for itself, but a bit vanilla)
Anything but Corona (you know, coronavirus? Also works on the level that this may not be a stellar beer, but at least it's not Corona)
2% Mortality (the approximate mortality rate of the virus based on confirmed cases)
Just a Flu (what many people in Wuhan and around the world were saying about this outbreak a month or two ago)

What do you think? Give me feedback or a better idea below!

Apocalypse and Rapture themes have gone through my mind. The fact that there's an HBO show called The Leftovers that is about the Rapture (AFAIK) seems like fertile ground since this is a leftovers brew, but I'm not sure if I can make anything of it since I haven't seen the show.

Apocalypse and Rapture themes have gone through my mind. The fact that there's an HBO show called The Leftovers that is about the Rapture (AFAIK) seems like fertile ground since this is a leftovers brew, but I'm not sure if I can make anything of it since I haven't seen the show.

now that you say HBO, don't they have a show "Outbreak" also?

Coronation (or Coronation Ale - as in "Coronation Cake")
"We are the 98%" (a reference to the slogan of the Occupy Wallstreet movement and the mentioned mortality rate)

I do send my wishes and prayers for you and your family.

How about something like; InMortality Ale, since it’s probably going to come up a little light.

An ale for what ails ya....

Or...Corona Dreaming ale:

3061381469598df30da830ac96e297c3.jpg

So this is :off:, but how much of what we heard going on there is the truth?

Last edited:
So this is :off:, but how much of what we heard going on there is the truth?
Depends what you've heard. Most of Wuhan is more-or-less sequestered within their communities right now, with little to no permission to leave the compound. Food and goods are delivered in, often through groups organized by community members or the community management office (the supers/property management companies), with some limited ability to order stuff individually as well. Schools are in full swing but all instruction is online right now. Supermarkets and other places of business like them are open, but generally you have to have a permit to shop at them (typically a community volunteer permit, which also allows you out of your community and implies that you're shopping for multiple households). Public transportation is wholly shut down and there's effectively no exit from the city.

It all sounds pretty concerning when you say it all at once, but it's not something you think too much about while you're here. At this point, the city's been locked down for over 40 days and while the lockdown has gotten stricter over time, it seems to be working pretty well as the number of new cases seems to be dwindling in the city. No solid word on when the lockdown will end, but it's likely that we've got at least another month to go, and the city's likely to wake up fairly slowly when that happens.

TV news media blowing things out of proportion causing world panic and widespread disruption to economic markets ale.
That's how the news media responds to everything though, to be fair. Sells more adspace. Hope that's all there is to the predictions that this virus isn't going away (globally) any time soon...

TV news media blowing things out of proportion causing world panic and widespread disruption to economic markets ale.

This is an extremely debatable topic, and given some of the sources of misinformation it almost merits moving this part of the discussion to the Debate section. From what I've seen on reputable TV news, they've been pretty good about fact-checking online rumors and memes. For instance, I'd seen a lot of online talk that the Covid has a mortality rate on par with the common flu. That is wrong. The flu is fatal in less than 1% of cases, while covid has a mortality rate is somewhere around 2% so far, according to several TV news sources I consider reputable.

As far as the impacts on the markets, I've had it explained to me that markets like predictability. We don't know when current measures are going to fail and we lose what containment we've managed to create, but it sounds like it is a matter of if, not when. This and several other factors are hard to predict. So I can understand why this is disrupting markets.

I do agree that the panic isn't helping, but downplaying it isn't going to help either.

....From what I've seen on reputable TV news, they've been pretty good about fact-checking online rumors and memes. For instance, I'd seen a lot of online talk that the Covid has a mortality rate on par with the common flu. That is wrong. The flu is fatal in less than 1% of cases, while covid has a mortality rate is somewhere around 2% so far, according to several TV news sources I consider reputable.

....it sounds like it is a matter of if, not when. This and several other factors are hard to predict. So I can understand why this is disrupting markets.

I do agree that the panic isn't helping, but downplaying it isn't going to help either.

I guess the debate started when one person posts an opinion and another person responds to that initial post with their opinion such as yourself. When reading various articles, it becomes very obvious that there is missing data to accurately calculate the fatality rate. Here is an interesting read that fairly discusses this https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-02-11/how-deadly-is-coronavirus-fatality-rate. Unfortunately, to this day China has not been fully transparent with the data.

It shouldn't be surprising for individuals to question the media. Many feel there are a lot of commentary rather than news being reported these days. Perhaps a better source to avoid confusion in reporting or opinion might be the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/) and WHO (https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus).

Yes, @CodeSection , I purposely used that language to try and emphasize that those are my opinions and what I've found at this point. Unfortunately we have people who want to debate what a good source is, which can devolve into a nasty argument. I felt like I was going off topic already, so I tried to use as non-confrontational language as I could. I actually wanted to link to a popular fact-check website's C-19 resource page, but was afraid of starting a thread fight.

Ultimately what I was trying to say is take it seriously, but don't panic. Sort of like what Charlie P says, be concerned but not worried. And be mindful of your sources.

I was going to reduce my drinking, try to lose weight, work some overtime, pay off debt, but now, I might be dead by July, so the heck with all that, I'm drinking 10% beer every night, live it up, go on some trips; if I survive the summer, I'll resume my healthy living plan.
:cask:

Ok, just kidding, sort of....

Last edited:
I'd use "Captain Trips" somehow. It's a reference to the virus in Steven King's The Stand.

Keep your head down and good luck there.
My experience reading King is The Stand, It, and the audiobooks of the Dark Tower series. It was decent, if really sketchy at points (gratuitous pre-teen sex, f'rinstance). The Stand and the Dark Tower series didn't grab me. I still want to give The Shining a try, but I suspect that the (Kubrick) film is better than the book in this case.

My experience reading King is The Stand, It, and the audiobooks of the Dark Tower series. It was decent, if really sketchy at points (gratuitous pre-teen sex, f'rinstance). The Stand and the Dark Tower series didn't grab me. I still want to give The Shining a try, but I suspect that the (Kubrick) film is better than the book in this case.

Haha, none of his books are "literature". Still, I love the post-apocalypse genre. Read The Road (McCarthy) for a big boy version of same. In fact, though I think this virus is just a +1 version of the typical flu, these plots keep popping into my head. (Vonnegut Galapogos, too).

The lyrics to the children's poem Ring Around the Rosie reference the bubonic plague (which killed 1/3 of Euorope in 14th century). Maybe a name there.

I really struggled with picking a name--they're all great. Think of all the other names that are possible:

N95

Wash yer hands!

Mask and Gown Ale

Contagion Ale

There's just a bunch of great potential names. Sadly, I'm the only one at this writing who chose "2% Mortality" from your list. :(

My family and I are quarantined in Wuhan and have been for about 40 days now. You'd think I'd have nothing but time, but with a three year-old son and a one year-old daughter, that's just not the case.

However, I finally got around to brewing a beer. It's a bit of a leftovers brew - I've got plenty of grain but only scattershot hops, and for yeast, just a couple old packs of S-33 and one of Lallemand Abbaye. The recipe is as follows:

30 L RO water plus 6 g gypsum, 4 g CaCl, and 6 ml 80% Lactic Acid (21 L mash, 9 L sparge)

4 kg low-potential Aussie-grown, China-malted 2-row
540 g Biscuit from the same grain
300 g Weyermann Munich

Mashed overnight starting at 65 C.

10 g Magnum @ 90 min
50 g Cascade and 30g Simcoe @ 30 min. whirlpool (beginning at 85 C)
50 g Cascade and 30g Simcoe Dry Hop

S-33 @ ambient (around 18-19 C) because my fermentation freezer is full of food.

So yeah, it's a leftovers ale for sure. I'm planning on shunting off about 4L on the stepped-up dregs from a Fantome Dark White to see if I can make something interesting that way (which would potentially also serve as a starter for my next beer if it makes something good).

Anyway, beer names. Here are some ideas I've come up with so far:

Quarantine Ale (speaks for itself, but a bit vanilla)
Anything but Corona (you know, coronavirus? Also works on the level that this may not be a stellar beer, but at least it's not Corona)
2% Mortality (the approximate mortality rate of the virus based on confirmed cases)
Just a Flu (what many people in Wuhan and around the world were saying about this outbreak a month or two ago)

What do you think? Give me feedback or a better idea below!
Call it "Sick Bay" (for you Star Trek nerds).

Back