Pure Oxygen = blow off tube required?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makomachine

Reaction score
Thread title says it all. I've just recently migrated to the use of Oxygen for my oxygenation pre-fermentation (60 sec through diffusion stone), and the three beers I've done it with all have required blow off tubes. Prior to this, I've used a drill mounted degasser for aeration and when acompanied with fermcap, and tight fermentation temp control, I've been able to get by without blow off tubes ~ 9 out of 10 ales. These last three beers have used WLP029, WLP001, and WLP023 and even with fermcap, needed a blow off. Any others experienced the same trend or is this just an odd coincidence?

I always need a blow off tube since I started pure o2 oxygenation about ten batches ago. I forgot this past one because I went to long between batches and I had a mess.

My last batch just had a really good starter on a high gravity beer needed a blow off tube for like 6 days!

I've been using pure 02 with my last few batches and haven't had any blowoff. However, I still use blowoff tubes with every batch because you never know.

I've been using pure 02 with my last few batches and haven't had any blowoff. However, I still use blowoff tubes with every batch because you never know.

Same here. Ever since I've switched to pure 02, it seems like the ferment is less intense although it drops gravity alot faster.:drunk:

Back