Pumpkin Ale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodrigo3586

Reaction score
I'm attempting to make my first extract+grains batch of a pumpkin ale next week and had a fairly basic question about it. I've read that it is important to bake the pumpkin before steeping it...my problem is that I live in Korea and ovens aren't a standard household appliance here. What do you think the results would be if I didn't bake the pumpkin or if I only used my little toaster over to get it somewhat cripsy? I've read in almost every recipe that baking the pumpking before steeping is standard, but has anyone had an experience doing it any other way?

Just brewed my first pumpkin batch on the 11th. I went with 45oz of pumpkin purée and brown sugar it's in the primary now bubbling away. I think it was a little less work to go with the canned pumpkin.

Canned pumpkin is probably going to be easier for you.

Not sure how it's going to work out, but I put raw pumpkin in my secondary. Two things with this though. Usually by the secondary phase, the beer has had enough alcohol to keep things a little sanitary. Still...I don't really trust that advice, and I tried to sanitize it with a high proof alcohol (everclear). I don't SEE anything wrong with it right now but I'll have to update you after bottling tonight.

You can try slicing up the pumpkin and steeping it, then steeping the grains in the pumpkin water. Saves alot of trouble with trub later on.

+1 on the canned pumpkin......kinda....My first two Pumpkin Ales I put 45 oz in both, one baked and spiced the last one I just dumped in the boil....not a lot of "pumpkin flavor" from the actual pumpkin in either and a complete pain in the ass. It is too much of a headache and a LOT of trub. My last two batches I have added only one can, just to say it actually has pumpkin in it. I get all of my flavor from a spice tea of a couple oz boiled pumpkin spice and dumped in primary and secondary...the last two have overwhelmingly been the crowd pleasers. I like a clean (no floating pumpkin) crisp beer like Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale (some people hate it but some people are way too snobby over beer) and this has been the closest way to get that and the football crowd love it....good luck.

V

Thanks for all the info, y'all. Now I have to go to a foreign market to hopefully find some canned pumpkin.

Voodoo, do you add the spice tea to your primary before you pitch your yeast, or do you wait for fermentation to end before you add it?
For secondary, I assume you would add it to the carboy and then rack on top of the tea...does that sound about right? I just wanna get this one right the first time, and not have to do a lot of experimentation.

Thanks again, guys. I'm only six batches in and would have only brewed ****ty beer if not for this forum.

Back