PT100 Connection to panel suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennihana

Reaction score
I have a 3 wire PT100 Thermo sensor and i would like to be able easily disconnect my probe and wire from my Electric panel. I have seen Things like XLR connectors for music connections and was wondering if this was the best way to go or if anybody has any better suggestions.

All ideas welcome

I have the Auber connectors on my panel. Soldering those connections was a real pain.

I'd recommend using RJ-11 (standard telephone) or RJ-45 (standard ethernet) connectors and jacks. Crimp and go.

If you get the one I linked to I don't think you would have to do any soldering. I didn't anyway. If you do decide to use different connectors and wire just make sure you get the appropriate thermocouple wire for your sensor.

I'm am curious what people are soldering? I've seen this mentioned a few times.

Thanks

I'm am curious what people are soldering? I've seen this mentioned a few times.

Thanks

MiniRTDCON2.jpg

See those pins on the end of the panel connector? Those aren't crimps. You have to solder on to them.

If they are crimps, I don't know of a crimper that works with them.

I soldered all of mine but it was a pain, especially cause all I have is a soldering gun with a fat tip.

MiniRTDCON2.jpg

See those pins on the end of the panel connector? Those aren't crimps. You have to solder on to them.

If they are crimps, I don't know of a crimper that works with them.

I recently bought the exact ones you pictured.. 5 of them for $3.29 with free shipping and I got them in just about a week...
These are 2 pins connectors though and they are being used in my setup to power small DC pumps I use...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121535787607?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So also what i am seeing here is that if i want to use my current probe and attach it to a chasis Mount xlr connection the wires to my PID from my chasis connection also need to be thermocouple wires as well. or can i use ordinary electrical wire to finish off my connection?

Must be thermocouple wire. Other wire will read something but won't be accurate. The wires from probe to pid have to be consistent with one another and be appropriate for sensor.

So also what i am seeing here is that if i want to use my current probe and attach it to a chasis Mount xlr connection the wires to my PID from my chasis connection also need to be thermocouple wires as well. or can i use ordinary electrical wire to finish off my connection?

I think it depends on the type of probe. RTD's do not need special wires, whereas thermocouples do.

From the automation direct website:

Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTDs) have a linear increase in resistance as temperature rises. RTDs come in 2-wire, 3-wire or 4-wire versions. A 2-wire RTD signal is affected by the distance to the controller. 3-wire or 4-wire RTDs can compensate for line losses.

Thermocouples have two dissimilar metal wires joined at the hot junction. As temperature changes, a millivolt signal is read at the cold junction. The most common types of temperature thermocouples are Type J thermocouples and Type K thermocouples. Advantages of thermocouple sensors include: low cost, small size, wider temperature ranges and faster response than RTDs. The disadvantages of using thermocouples include: they are less linear and accurate than RTDs, a matching extension wire is needed, and thermocouples are sensitive to electrical noise.

I think it depends on the type of probe. RTD's do not need special wires, whereas thermocouples do.

From the automation direct website:

Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTDs) have a linear increase in resistance as temperature rises. RTDs come in 2-wire, 3-wire or 4-wire versions. A 2-wire RTD signal is affected by the distance to the controller. 3-wire or 4-wire RTDs can compensate for line losses.

Thermocouples have two dissimilar metal wires joined at the hot junction. As temperature changes, a millivolt signal is read at the cold junction. The most common types of temperature thermocouples are Type J thermocouples and Type K thermocouples. Advantages of thermocouple sensors include: low cost, small size, wider temperature ranges and faster response than RTDs. The disadvantages of using thermocouples include: they are less linear and accurate than RTDs, a matching extension wire is needed, and thermocouples are sensitive to electrical noise.

With thermocouples your also supposed to compensate for a cold junction (each wire connection/solder/XLR fittings/etc) if its not at the PID where the signal is being read

I rarely ever seen thermocouples used, in fact Im pretty sure at the industrial site I work on that all we use are RTD's

I bought and use a couple of these about 4 months ago and the price has gone up a bit but they are still much cheaper than the the other ones posted.... these do not include the connector at the panel though which is where the 3 pin 99 cent xlr connectors came in for me.

I also used color coded shrink tube at the end of each to make it easier to know which is which if I ever disconnect them.(only when taking down my panel to add more stuff) I found this cabling is better than the stainless braided stuff I have on my old sensors which kinks very easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-T...b&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=251572167399&rt=nc

Back