Protofloc cold break question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoftherivernile

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a pretty new brewer and I've used proto-floc on my last few batches but I've been having difficulty preventing the coagulated proteins from getting into my fermenter. They just tend to swirl around the bottom half of my wort and don't settle out. In the fermenter they seem to settle out OK and I guess just make the trub a bit more liquid.

For my next beer (a bohemian pilsner) I thought I might move my cooled wort to a container and then chill to 10C overnight to help the proteins settle out before transferring the wort to the FV and pitching.

Any suggestions?

That's what it supposed to do. I wouldn't lower the temperature, you'll just have to bring it back up before you can pitch the yeast.
I would just let it settle out and cold crash the whole thing after fermentation is over.

The proteins haven't spoiled any of my beer yet and I have some in bottles that have been there for a year and a half. I've left beer in the primary fermenter for 9 weeks without the proteins spoiling it too.

The proteins are all ways there. The product helps coagulate them so they can fall out.

Back