process advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjtexas

Reaction score
I just finished building my brew stand and I am currently thinking through the control panel. I am essentially trying to accomplish full automation like the one Kal has (as well as many others) except using propane instead. My kettles are built for the most part but it's the automation I am concerned with. I have purchased only 1 love temp controller w/ probe as I intend on using a "t" style fitting with thermowell on the outlet side into the HLT HERMS coil. Is it reasonable to measure only the mash temp out to send that signal to the gas valve to fire the HLT burner ? I also am curious as to advice on getting strike up to temp. Is running it through the coil the best method?(seems slow maybe) or should I manually get strike water hot via the BK all the while running the HLT burner getting it to temp at the same time? I am probably over thinking this but I want it simple.I envision a switch for each pump , main power switch, temp controller and a 3 way switch allowing a manual override option as well that skips the need for a temp signal. This will allow HLT burner to be operable without automation. Please advise!

Last edited:
Back