Problems with Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irenjcombs

Reaction score
I brewed a Check style pils (my 3rd all grain attempt) and I just bottled a couple days ago. I took a taste when I bottled and it has a distinctly metalic taste. I used Saaz hops, floor malted bohemian pilsner and caramunich wayerman and white labs pilsner yeast. I fermented at aprox 40*F for 2 weeks (1 in primary and 1 in secondary).
Any ideas what might have given the off flavor?

From MoreBeer faults list.

Astringent
Tastes/Smells Like:
Tart, vinegary, tannin, drying, puckering sensation, may feel powdery or metallic in the
mouth, like sucking on a grape skin or a tea bag

Possible Causes:
Astringency can be caused by many different factors. Polyphenols or tannins are the
number one cause of such flavors. Tannins are found in the skins or husks of the
grain as well as in the skin of fruit. Steeping grain for too long or grain that has been
excessively milled or crushed can release tannins. When mashing, if the pH exceeds
5.2 – 5.6, astringent flavors can be produced. Over-hopping can also lend a hand in
creating astringent qualities.

How to Avoid:
Avoid grain that has been “over-milled”. Grain should be cracked open but not crushed
or shredded. When sparging, pay close attention to the temperature and the amount
of the water used. When steeping grains, be sure to take them out before the water
gets to a boil. Fruits should never be boiled in the wort; instead, they can be added to
the fermenter or to water that is hot but not boiling for 15-30 minutes. Make sure that
the amount and varieties of hops used are the correct types for the style of beer.

Metallic
Tastes/Smells Like:
Metal, mainly iron, also described as tasting like pennies or blood, Felt on the front
of the mouth and back of the throat
Possible Causes:
Wort being boiled in unprocessed metals, mainly iron, but also aluminum, and steel
(excluding stainless) is usually the source of metallic flavors. Metallic flavors can also
be extracted from metal brewing equipment, bottle caps and/or kegs. Using water
that has high levels of iron will impart iron flavors. Improperly stored grains can also
cause metallic off flavors.
How to Avoid:
Use stainless steel pots and brewing equipment (fittings, spoons, etc.) when possible.
Avoid using iron for anything that will be coming in contact with beer/wort. If using
a ceramic coated steel pot, always check for cracks or scratches before using. Stainless
steel will not give off any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots will generally only cause
metallic flavors when using alkaline water with a pH over 9. If using an aluminum
pot, you can “bake” the pot in an oven at 250ºF for 6 hours to increase the protective
oxides. Always use fresh, properly stored grain. Avoid using water with iron in it, such
as unfiltered well water.

Most likely a water issue or you unfortunately had some non stainless metal get in the beer. Hard to say.

Could also be that the beer is young, ive noticed that I have to let pils beers sit for a full 2 weeks for the yeast bite to go away, happens most of the time when I make a hefe.

I'll put my money on its out of balance

Pils can easily taste metallic/astringent/sharp when they are overhopped or when too many late hop additions were used.

If it is truly metallic then you should rub a little on the back of your hand and smell it. If it smells very strongly like metal or blood then you have a true metallic off flavor issue which is the result of a problem with the passivation of your brewing equipment or bad water

Pils can easily taste metallic/astringent/sharp when they are overhopped or when too many late hop additions were used.

I'll add that it could be the Saaz hops themselves. I don't know about you guys, but I've been on a real losing streak with Saaz for a while now. I can't seem to get my hands on any Saaz that aren't nasty, sharp, and unpleasant. It's a shame, I like Saaz a lot and I used to use quite a bit of it.

I'll add that it could be the Saaz hops themselves. I don't know about you guys, but I've been on a real losing streak with Saaz for a while now. I can't seem to get my hands on any Saaz that aren't nasty, sharp, and unpleasant. It's a shame, I like Saaz a lot and I used to use quite a bit of it.
Sounds like some propaganda from the mega corporation Brambling Cross industry.

Jokes aside I have never had a metallic or unpleasant taste from Saaz and I use it all the time. I do know some hops that I get certain flavors that others don't though. I can pretty reliably detect Centennial because I always think it's soapy.

Sounds like some propaganda from the mega corporation Brambling Cross industry.

Jokes aside I have never had a metallic or unpleasant taste from Saaz and I use it all the time. I do know some hops that I get certain flavors that others don't though. I can pretty reliably detect Centennial because I always think it's soapy.

Baaaaaaah! Foiled again!

You haven't seen the last of me, moreb33rplz!

First all grain Pils i ever made was all Pilsner malt and bittered with hallertau mittlfrue and no late hop addition at all. Quite impressed with myself. Cracking beer.

It's sometimes hard to really nail down what off flavor you're tasting. My educated guess is that you have some fermentation byproduct issue. Most people are unaware of how much yeast you need to pitch for a healthy cold lager ferment. Without making a big starter, you would need at least 6 packs of yeast to hit recommended pitching rates. Racking a lager to a secondary after only a week of fermenting in the cold is also a problem. You should have raised the temp of the primary to about 60F for that second week (or longer).

It may just have been a fermentation issue, but it may also be a water issue. A super pale beer requires a low alkalinity water source unless you acidify. Your mash pH could have been pretty high which tends to pull harsh tannins from the grain husks.

Could also be that the beer is young, ive noticed that I have to let pils beers sit for a full 2 weeks for the yeast bite to go away, happens most of the time when I make a hefe.
I think this might be the issue. I tried one today and while it still needs to sit for a while the off flavor has faded almost completely.

When I got stationed in Germany I bought a six-pack of pils and tried to drink it cold; pretty awful beer. Tried a few times and just didn't like it. Went to a friends house and all he had was pils, but the rack was sitting on the floor at room temp. I was like "Awwww f***" Tried one and "got it" drink it warm and it tasted 1000% better.

My lagers truly need 2-3 months of dedicated lagering to really be their best

Do you happen to fine the lagers with gelatin or use a floating dip tube? I just tried both on an Oktoberfest (Wyeast 2124 fermented at 49F with a hefty 2 liter starter). I got around a week long D-rest in. Went long for insurance purposes (aka really let that yeast clean up). As of tomorrow it will have been in the keg for 3 weeks. Haven't tapped the keg yet though :) Still a noob with lagers

Go build yourself a gelatin injector. BBQ section at Lowes.... Works Great!
gelatin injector.jpg

Yep. If you are having issues, vent the PRV down to almost ambient pressure, then inject, you will still have 2-3 volumes CO2 in solution, you will be fine. Great thing is no additional oxygen. Best to add gelatin to cold beer.

Back