Priming with HOMEMADE maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
i know how to using normal priming sugar. but i dont know how much syrup to use because its not store bought. i think i'll need to check the gravity. but i dont know what i'm doing after that. i dont have the syrup with me, my friends dad makes it. 5 gal batch. i think i need some math help here! :(

Just secondary with the maple and prime with regular dextrose.

Yes, you can prime with maple syrup. Dilute it with water, take the gravity, compare it to the gravity of the appropriate level of priming sugar dissolved in an equal amount of water, and go from there.

Of course, you may still have mixing problems... and the end result will be no better flavor-wise than if you had just chucked it into the secondary and let it do it's thing.

Priming with alternate substances works and is fine, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it would ever be any better than adding the same substance in secondary... I've primed with honey and extract, and a few other things. I think it's all a waste of time. I add that stuff to secondary now.

The only 2 reasons to prime with something else that make any sense to me are either so you can say your beer complies with Reinheitsgebot or so that you can say, "bottle conditioned with (whatever substance)". Other than that, I don't really see the point, I don't think it does more for the taste than just adding it to secondary.

I have to agree with what Sir Humpsalot said. Something as flavorful and delicate (not to mention expensive) as maple syrup should be used to enchance beer. You could make a batch of acerglyn, which is a maple flavored mead that is delicious.

i dont have that much really. my friends dad makes it and its really time consuming so i probably wont have that much to make mead. or the time. i'm moving within about 3 months so i dont think it'll ferment quick enough. but i'm really not sure. i've never researched mead. thanks for the info

Back