Priming with brown sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
I am sure people have done it. What are the pros and cons? What flavors did it add? I am thinking about using 1/2 for my British Bitter...

Pros: it works
Cons: most brown sugar is just regular cane sugar with caramel added so you are paying more for that, more work to dissolve than corn sugar

If it is all you have (or can get easily), use it, but if you can get corn sugar I think that will be easier to use. With the amount you are adding, there will be very little effect on the flavor, some people use it in larger quantities to add some caramel flavor.

If you really wanted brown sugar's flavor, you'd use some in primary, rather than bottling.

I just don't see a half tsp of brown sugar doing much to the flavor, especially if there's a lot of hoppiness.

malkore said:
If you really wanted brown sugar's flavor, you'd use some in primary, rather than bottling.

I just don't see a half tsp of brown sugar doing much to the flavor, especially if there's a lot of hoppiness.

I'm sorry I meant 1/2 cup for priming. Thanks for your responses. Might as well stick with corn sugar.

I've attempted it a couple of times, did nothing for flavor and in both instances it 2 to 3 times longer to carbonate.

Better off using corn sugar, and adding alittle molasses in the primary to add flavor. ALternately I believe some ethnic food stores carry real brown sugar, but I haven't investigated myself.

Back