Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CavernHill

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm confused as to how much water should I boil with my priming sugar? I am using the priming sugar tool so I know the proportion to use but not sure how much water to boil it? Will this change the amount I use? Can it be added to my bottling bucket hot?

I use the minimum amount needed to fully dissolve my priming sugar.

If adding to a full 5 gallon batch, I let it cool for a few minutes, but I don't worry too much about adding it hot.

I use the minimum amount needed to fully dissolve my priming sugar.

If adding to a full 5 gallon batch, I let it cool for a few minutes, but I don't worry too much about adding it hot.

This, just enough to dissolve. I'd guess that's maybe 1/4 or 1/2 cup of water or so...

The instructions I followed said to use a pint, so that's what I did. Less water would probably be somewhat better from a dilution viewpoint, but it's still only 1/8th of a gallon, and the amount of dissolved sugars more than offset the additional water in terms of overall gravity. Probably best to just use as little water as you can use without burning your priming sugar.

Probably better to let it cool from a yeast health standpoint, better to put it in quickly from a contamination standpoint. What I did was put it in my sanitized bottling bucket more or less right away and then slosh it around to let the cool plastic leach off as much heat as was practical before beginning to siphon my beer. If you think about it, only the first little bit of the beer is going to be exposed to heat that is actually damaging, the vast majority will be going into the only slightly warm mix of the early siphoned beer and priming sugar water. Once again, I can see how using less water would be beneficial here as it would contribute much less heat to the overall batch.

It doesn't change the amount of sugar going into the beer so the amount of water is not critical. Unless you go crazy big and dilute the beer.

I put my siphon hose around the perimeter along the bottom of my priming bucket as start the siphon. I then add the priming solution straight off the stove. It may heat the first 1/4 gallon or so of the 5 gallons going into the bucket.... The vortex mixes the solution and I proceed to bottling.

Back