Adding priming sugar too early ☹️

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboneman69

Reaction score
Ok…I did a stupid thing.
I brewed a Sierra Pale Ale
Clone yesterday. Used homegrown whole cone Cascade hops.
I added some priming sugar into the fermenter - is my beer now dead? Ruined? I feel so stupid!
Chalk it up to too many home brews in the process☹️

Why would it be dead? Sugars are what the yeast use to ferment. That's what you create with barley malts and other stuff used during the mash. If you are extract, then someone did that process for you. Still it's sugar. Yeast won't care as long as it's fermentable sugar.

You'll need to calculate how much sugar you'll need when it's time to bottle and see if you need to replace what you put in too early. Or if you want to go low tech, just replace the amount you used to give you what the instructions say to use. Really doesn't matter what kind of sugar it is, unless your priming sugar was also intended to give it some slight hint of other flavors.

I added 2.2 oz of priming sugar dissolved into a cup of H2O
I combined sugar to the gallon of water I added to the fermenter when I added wort.
Using a conical fermenter. Added yeast to the bottom of the empty, sanitized mason jar before I opened the valve at the bottom.

Forget all the calculations and questions. Just add more priming sugar when you're ready to bottle. That amount of priming sugar won't affect it for jack. The only questions important for replacement are how many gallons, and are you bottling or kegging? 2.2 oz sugar won't even affect it noticeably.

There is only 2.5gallons of beer in the fermenter.
So when I keg this beer I am only going to use a 2.5 gallon corni keg.

How much priming sugar should be added. I will use a CO2 tank but only after I let it sit in the keg for 2 weeks.

It’s a pale ale - and sadly I do not have refrigeration for the keg.
My basement is typically 68 degrees during the summer and low 60’s upper 50’s in winter.

Well refrigeration doesn't have to be a refrigerator. As log as you know the temperature of the keg then the carbonation chart works. What do you use for a tap?

Can't speak for the OP, but lots of people prime in kegs. It works fine. I don't have a kegerator, keezer or CO2 cylinder, but I have a couple of 5 gallon kegs. I add the priming sugar to a sanitized keg, purge with fermentation gas and do a gravity closed transfer from FV to keg. Three weeks later I bottle from the keg. This way I get clear beer in the bottles (except for the first one or two). Maybe some day I'll figure out how to clear out enough space for a kegerator and switch to force carbing.

Latest posts

Back