priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey guys i was just wondering in about a little over 2 weeks i will be moving my frist batch of beer from the secondary to be bottled.. now i know there are a few differnt type of sugars people use to carb there beer.. now what woudl be the best one to use.... oh i dont know if this makes any diff but i really like a beer to be highly carbed.....

The type of sugar doesn't differentiate whether a beer is highly carbed or not, the AMOUNT does.

The most common used for priming is corn sugar, followed by table sugar, and thirdly by dry malt extract.

They all work fine, one's no better than the other. It really is a matter of preference. If you brewed a kit, corn sugar probably came with it.

The standard answer, is 5oz of Corn Sugar (dextrose) for a 5 gallon batch. This of course is not a great answer since there is no one size fits all. You can also use dry malt extract, white table sugar, honey, brown sugar, etc. The amounts would vary though.

Regardless you can easily over do it. Search bottle bombs. If you put too much sugar in your beer and cap it the bottles will literally explode.

Table sugar.

Your carbonation is directly related to how much you use. Look up bottle priming calculators on the web. If you want a highly carbed beer, aim for 3 volumes of C02. Amount to add depends on 1) amount of beer, and 2) temp of beer that you're priming.

Gluck.

The most common used for priming is corn sugar, followed by table sugar, and thirdly by dry malt extract.

They all work fine, one's no better than the other.

Using malt extract adds an additional complication that it's not completely fermentable which should be taken into account when figuring out how much to use.

Also, malt extract and honey can take a lot longer to ferment, resulting in longer time to reach carbonation.

Using malt extract adds an additional complication that it's not completely fermentable which should be taken into account when figuring out how much to use.

Also, malt extract and honey can take a lot longer to ferment, resulting in longer time to reach carbonation.

The amount you are dealing with in each bottle is miniscule. We are dealing with what 1 cup of liquid spread out over 48ish bottles. You are talking about 1% of the liquid in each bottle.

cool thanks for the info guys... i will just stick with the table sugar sense i already have that in the house...

Back