Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthafuggle

Reaction score
Sucrose versus Dextrose: does it really make a difference? I want to bottle tomorrow, but I don't want to schlep down to the LHBS to buy freaking corn sugar.

Would table sugar work as well?? I have a calculator that lists both for priming.

Save yourself a couple dollars and just use table sugar. Anytime something calls for corn, candi or inverted sugar, I reach for straight up cane sugar.

When you add sugar to bottle (assuming you use 1 tsp for a 16 ounce bottle) you are raising its specific gravity 0.009 (assuming a 1.587 SG for sucrose).

Really at that little amount, any taste difference will be negligible. And since sucrose is a disaccharide all the little yeasties have to do is break an oxygen bond to get its food. Really I put in the beer, then the sugar and if I do not pop that flip top on immediately get it to foam all over the bottle.

Table sugar, simple, easy and readily available.

Does anyone have any insight on priming tabs like Coopers and Muntons? I have used Coopers for the last two batches (Nut Brown Ale & Kolsch) and they don't seem to carbonate as well as corn sugar. Anyone else having similar results?

I haven't used them, but I'm told it takes 2-3 tabs per bottle to carbonate, depending on style. How many did you use?

I used the Coopers drops. The directions said 1 per 12 oz bottle and 2 per 22 oz. So far they have not carbonated much and it has been 4 weeks for the Brown Ale and 1 week for the Kolsch. I went back to 3/4 cup corn sugar for the hefeweizen I bottled yesterday. I just don't have much confidence in those drops.

My homebrew kit says to add a pre-measured amount of priming sugar to the bottling bucket then bottle. I always get what I call a sweet taste. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this? Thanks guys.

What is the ratio people use for table sugar to bottle? I'm starting to lean on Beer Smith and it doesn't have that option. The bank account would appreciate the advise. Also, what are the advantages of one versus the other, if any?

jcactus2001, Is the taste too sweet before adding the priming sugar or after? Could be as simple as you need to let it age a little longer, or you may want to boil a little longer, or both.

jcactus2001, Is the taste too sweet before adding the priming sugar or after? Could be as simple as you need to let it age a little longer, or you may want to boil a little longer, or both.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good question, I haven't tasted before bottling. I steep for 10-15 minutes, boil for 60 minutes and add the finishing hops and other grains 5-15 minutes before the end. If it's sweet after priming, can I add less sugar? Will it still carbonate and give me a decent ABV?

Back