Priming Sugar Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
Due to an issue that I had with the original batch(supposed to have been a Vienna Lager), I am curious as to how I should prepare the priming sugar.

This batch is currently lagering safely, however, it is not a full five gallon batch. To top it off, it is rather strong. Original gravity about 1.070, gravity before lagering about 1.030 (appx 6.55% ABV)[I did not add near enough water to the fermenter]. This was an extract brew, so I know the sugar is in there.

So, in about 2 weeks, it should be time to bottle. I do not want bottle bombs, being that I have maybe 2-2.5 gallons at most. I know I shouldn't use 5 oz of priming sugar, but how much should I reduce it by? Will the sugars in the beer increase bottle bomb chance? Is it possible to not use enough priming sugar?

Can't wait to brew again. This was my second batch, and it was ripe with beginner mistakes. Since this brew, I have learned an astronomical amount about brewing. But this brew tasted pretty good when I pulled the hydrometer sample, so I would hate to lose half the bottles because of bottle bombs.

Lets back up. Your O.G. gravity was 1.070 and it only dropped to 1.030 before you started lagering? Which I take to mean you crashed to 30 some degrees. It sounds like your beer did not finish fermenting before crashing. I'm afraid if you bottle, it will continue to ferment when it warms up and yes bottles will explode.

im pretty sure it was done, also, because i checked the gravity a few days later and it was very close, if not dead on.

Back