priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Smith

Reaction score
Quick question, sounds super obvious, when calculating priming sugar do you use the volume in your FV or the volume in your bottling bucket? i've always used the volume in my FV and added the syrup straight into there but last time i racked the beer on top of the sugar solution into the bottling bucket and my beer came out over carbed.
Any insights?

Intuitively, I would say that the calculator would not include trub as part of the calculation, so I figure volume in the bottling bucket.
if so how can i know the volume going into my bottling bucket? ie volume of tub
cheers

You could try putting more detailed marks on the outside of your fermenter--for example, a line at 1 qt, 2, qts etc at the bottom (or on the whole thing) to help estimate how much trub you've got so you can subtract that out.

You mention you've done it the other way--racking into bottling bucket first then pouring the correct amt of syrup in. I think you're being wise to avoid this and instead rack onto the syrup.

But of course, even if you get this (and the temperature) just right, we're all still at the whim of the capricious beer gods. Glory be their names.

cheers

I ferment in a clear PET carboy, and I marked the 1 gallon spot with athletic tape that's held up well during washing. I routinely get .5 to 1 gallon of trub in my fermentation of a 5 gallon batch. When I bottled, I would deduct .5 gallons for my calculations, which is why you see a lot of 5.5 gallon recipes out there.

cheers

I know from experience that I get 1.75 gallons after trub loss, that’s what I use for my calculation. If my liquid volume is 12 oz. +-, my CO2 volume will only be off by .1 +- which I don’t worry about.

Mark the bottling bucket
Rack in what you'll rack in
Read off racked volume and do the Calc Dance (close the drapes, neighbors can be sketchy)
Put measuring cup on scale, tare, add sugar to what Calc Dance recommended, add water to 1cup or so, microwave for a minute or two, carefully pour into bucket, sanitize spoon (or glass rod or walking cane) and carefully stir
Color it done.

Thanks guys, this was exactly what i wanted, just getting to know my process i guess

Back