priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrain

Reaction score
Ok so I made an Imperial Pumpkin Porter with molases and bourbon recipe is as follows

9lbs light dme
1 lb 80 crystal malt
1/2 lb carafa 3 malt
1/2 chocolate malt
1/4 lb black patent

1oz nothern brewer 60
1oz magnum 30
1oz willemete 10

1lb molases last 10 mins

added 15 oz pumpkin purree and spices when I added dme

my question is how much priming sugar will I need when I bottle this monster?

fermenting with wy1056

sorry forgot to mention I have bourbon barrel chunks soaking in old crow reserve and will add them to the secondary for about a week after primary fermentation is done in 2 weeks.

You need to know how many gallons end up in the bottling bucket, after hop/trub loss. Your barrel chuncks will absorb some as well. Make a guess.

My simple formula for all my beers is .8oz by weight per gallon.
So if you have 5 gallons, you would need 4 oz. dextrose.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Either of those will work. For a porter, I'd think you would want lower-end carb around 2.1-2.2. Going to have to guess on volume in bottling bucket. If you've got spot on 5 gallons in the fermenter and haven't racked to secondary, safe bet would be 4.75 gallons.

Don't forget to factor in the temperature at which the beer was fermented with these online calculators. They ask for temp and it isn't the current temp of the beer (weird right?).

Don't forget to factor in the temperature at which the beer was fermented with these online calculators. They ask for temp and it isn't the current temp of the beer (weird right?).

Isn't it? The NB calculator says "current temperature of beer".

It's the current temp of the beer. It affect density which affects solubility ...I think. But its definitely current themp

I think the temperature is actually the warmest temp the beer has reached after the ferment is over. As the beer warms up, residual co2 is let out of suspension. They ask about the temp because they need to gauge how much co2 is still in the beer and factor it into the amount needed to be made to reach a specified co2 level

So for the calculators, its the warmest temp reached not the temp it fermented at.

I use the temperature the beer rested at, in the primary, for the week or two after FG was reached. During this time the CO2 produced has off gassed and is no longer a factor in carbonating the beer.
Beer that is rushed to the bottle will have residual CO2 from the fermentation which may need to be accounted for.

I fermented my last saison up to 102, using that it says I should add almost 200 grams of dextrose for a 5gal batch????

I fermented my last saison up to 102, using that it says I should add almost 200 grams of dextrose for a 5gal batch????

I use the temperature the beer rested at, in the primary, for the week or two after FG was reached. During this time the CO2 produced has off gassed and is no longer a factor in carbonating the beer.
Beer that is rushed to the bottle will have residual CO2 from the fermentation which may need to be accounted for.

from the thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1881837

When you use the priming sugar calculators, I think they are pretty misleading with the "temperature" question. Of course, colder temperatures "hold" onto more co2 than warmer temperatures, but if you fermented the beer at, say, 65 degrees, you should use 65 degrees as the temperature of the beer. If you fermented the beer at 34 (which is actually not possible), then that temperature calculator at 34 degrees would be correct. If you make a lager and ferment it at 50 degrees, "50 degrees" would be fine to use for the beer temperature even though it's lagered at 34 for weeks.

The reason has to do with co2 off gassing at a higher temperature. When I use the calculators, I use the highest temperature that the beer had been during the entire time. That's most accurate.

It's the current temp of the beer. It affect density which affects solubility ...I think. But its definitely current themp

This is categorically incorrect. Source: I have written a priming sugar calculator.

For temp, provide the highest temp that the beer achieved, post fermentation. Not the current temp. Not the cold crash temp. Not the temp the bottles will be sitting at. Here's why:

During fermentation, CO2 is produced. It is absorbed into the beer until no more will go into solution, at which point, the excess escapes through the airlock. Cooler temps allow more CO2 to go into solution, while warmer temps cause more to be lost through the airlock.

During active fermentation, losing CO2 is no issue, as more is being produced. Once fermentation is done, you have a set amount, period. If the beer warms up, whatever is lost is gone forever, no matter how much you cool the beer.

Priming sugar calculators have to account for what CO2 is currently in solution, which is why they need this temp reading.

So for stuff we don't cold crash like most ales, using the current temp works? Cause I've left every single beer I've made at the same ambient temp once fg was reached

Ok so I made an Imperial Pumpkin Porter with molases and bourbon recipe is as follows

9lbs light dme
1 lb 80 crystal malt
1/2 lb carafa 3 malt
1/2 chocolate malt
1/4 lb black patent

1oz nothern brewer 60
1oz magnum 30
1oz willemete 10

1lb molases last 10 mins

added 15 oz pumpkin purree and spices when I added dme

my question is how much priming sugar will I need when I bottle this monster?

fermenting with wy1056
I ran into an issue with my recent Mint Chocolate Stout where the trub loss was nearly 1 gallon! I believe this was due to the chocolate powder. I had measured out my priming sugar based on my estimate of 4.8 gallons, when I really ended up with just under 4 gallons. I'm planning to 'burp' those bottles tonight to try to prevent overcarb/gushers.

My plan going forward is to transfer to the bottling bucket before making my priming solution to make sure I have an accurate volume for the calcuation. My process will be to transfer to bottling bucket and cover. Mix priming solution based on actual volume. Sanitize bottles while the priming solution is cooling. Then bottle as normal. It will be essentially the same total time, with the main difference of having the beer in the bottling bucket for an additional 15 minutes or so. Hopefully that additional time won't lead to any oxidation issues, but I believe the potential compromise will be worth it to make sure I get the proper carbonation level.

I ran into an issue with my recent Mint Chocolate Stout where the trub loss was nearly 1 gallon! I believe this was due to the chocolate powder. I had measured out my priming sugar based on my estimate of 4.8 gallons, when I really ended up with just under 4 gallons. I'm planning to 'burp' those bottles tonight to try to prevent overcarb/gushers.

My plan going forward is to transfer to the bottling bucket before making my priming solution to make sure I have an accurate volume for the calcuation. My process will be to transfer to bottling bucket and cover. Mix priming solution based on actual volume. Sanitize bottles while the priming solution is cooling. Then bottle as normal. It will be essentially the same total time, with the main difference of having the beer in the bottling bucket for an additional 15 minutes or so. Hopefully that additional time won't lead to any oxidation issues, but I believe the potential compromise will be worth it to make sure I get the proper carbonation level.

I've had several batches with 1gal loss. I think one was a pumpkin sweet potato one, one Belgian quad, and another one had a bunch of rye. I generally just take my bucket level and subtract 1/2gal for trub loss to calculate priming. Unless the yeast cake is like a lot more than 1 inch thick....

So for stuff we don't cold crash like most ales, using the current temp works? Cause I've left every single beer I've made at the same ambient temp once fg was reached

Current temp is probably close enough, but technically, again, use the highest temp the beer achieved post fermentation.

Doesn't matter if you cold crash or not. Cold crashing has zero to do with the amount of priming sugar needed.

As for when to mix the sugar - I used to dump the sugar solution into the bucket and rack on top, but I've also run into more trub than expected, and overcarbed bottles.

Now, I rack the beer first, get an accurate measurement, mix up and boil priming sugar based off of that volume. Dump that in and mix it well with a sanitized spoon. Perfect, consistent carbonation.

Well I mean if I kept a saison at 102 until it reached fg, is that now "post fermentation?" Cause after I let it naturally cool to room temp

Latest posts

Back