Priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel_scum

Reaction score
So I just bottled my dry Irish stout and I used 5oz of corn sugar boiled in a cup of water for 10 min.

Was reading up on carbonating and playing around with the calculator I found, and it recommended 3.5 oz instead of the 5oz the recipe called for to reach the 2.1 co2 level for the style (It's an extract kit).

Will this have a noticeable effect on my carb level? Anything I can do temp wise or time wise to reduce it if so?

I don't imagine it will cause any explosions lol but I was just curious. If not I guess I can just let the beer sit and get flat for a bit before I drink it ;-)

Lesson learned- calculators are my friend!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your stout will pour a good head using 5 ounces of priming sugar. The extra carbonation will add some bite to your stout, conversely reduce the smooth mouth feel.
Excess carbonation can be released from the bottles by gently lifting the edge of the bottle cap until you hear the CO2 escape. Then immediately reseal the cap. Lay a quarter on the bottle cap when you degas to prevent creasing the cap.
The CO2 release may need to be done more than once to get the level of carbonation down to where you like it. Wait a day between testing, (pouring), and the next release if more than one is required for pressure in the headspace and in solution to equalize.
Let this stout fully bottle condition before deciding whether or not the carbonation is a problem.

My first few extract kits came with 5 ounces of priming sugar and I dutifully put it all in like the instructions said and I made beer. None of it seemed overcarbonated but maybe that was just because I didn't realize it. I think you'll be fine.

Back