Priming sugar in boil and low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toelmag

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am fairly new to brewing, I have like 10 extract brews under my belt. Anyway, my first few batches were box kits. Since I keg, I have never used the priming sugar that came with them. So with my newest IPA recipe I decided to use 1lb the last 15 mins of my boil. I killed the flame, added and dissolved the sugar, then brought it back to a boil. When I took my OG, it was way lower than Brewtoad predicted. 1.061 predicted vs. 1.052 actual. And yes, I do adjust my OG readings based on temp, hydrometer etc. I researched it, and my OG is actually what it would be without the priming sugar. Everything I have read says that priming sugar is corn sugar. Is this wrong? Btw, all of the kits were from Brewcraft. Just curious if anyone has ever had this issue, or if this will have a negative affect on my beer when I keg it.

kit priming sugar is usually corn sugar... Should have upped your OG not lowered it.

Normally added sugar will up your ABV and make your beer more dry. Won't add any taste. Not a problem if that is what you're looking for.

Yeah, those are exactly the reasons I used it. Was just surprised by the OG. Not to worried, it should still be a decent ABV when done. Thx for the reply.

My kit included corn sugar when I ordered it (a double IPA), but it wasn't listed in the ingredients or instructions. So I didn't include it in the boil, and my OG was a little low. Was this supposed to go in the boil? I don't think it was for priming, because it was 1.0 lbs not 4 oz.

My kit included corn sugar when I ordered it (a double IPA), but it wasn't listed in the ingredients or instructions. So I didn't include it in the boil, and my OG was a little low. Was this supposed to go in the boil? I don't think it was for priming, because it was 1.0 lbs not 4 oz.

Yep, as you suspected 1lb. would be for late addition to the boil.
So, if you are within a day or so of original pitch, you can add it now, or.... you now don't have to order p[riming sugar for a while. :)

Back