Quantcast

priming - should I shake??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kenmc

Reaction score
Ok I should have probably searched a bit harder, but when i read any articles on priming I didn't see any details.
Bottled straight from fermenter (bubbling had stopped, FG ~1004). Added a half teaspoon of sugar to the bottles.
Am I supposed to shake them to mix the sugar or not??
Cheers
Ken

andre the giant

Reaction score
I've never bottled that way so I'm not sure. I always rack to a bottling bucket first then add 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Anyhow, I imagine that if you cap the bottle, let it sit for a few minutes, then just flip it upside down a couple times, that should get the sugar properly mixed into the beer. Don't shake too vigorously. That might oxidize your beer a bit I would think.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Actually, you're supposed to add 3/4 to 1 C corn sugar dissolved in about 1 c water and mixed with your 5 gals...then bottle (or 1+1/4 C DME).

I have no idea what you're going to get. Sorry. :(

brewhead

Reaction score
kenmc said:
Added a half teaspoon of sugar to the bottles.
Am I supposed to shake them to mix the sugar or not??
Cheers Ken
ken

the method you are using will work - do not shake!

the reason homebrewer_99 suggest priming en masse instead of individually is because 1) it's easier 2) it's more precise 3) which leads to even carbonation.

the method you describe sounds like a mr. beer kit instructions or similar system. you put the sugars in each bottle and the filling process should be enough to get the mix going

OP
K

kenmc

Reaction score
Thanks to those that replied.
reason I didn't mix the sugar with the water and add to the fermenter was cos I didn't wanna mix up all the sediment lying at the bottom. I don't have room for a primary and secondary fermenters, so thats why I had to go straight from the primary to the bottles. And course I couldn't mix the sugar with water and add that to the bottles cos I'd have no idea how much to add to each bottle....
Cheers
K