priming - should I shake??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Ok I should have probably searched a bit harder, but when i read any articles on priming I didn't see any details.
Bottled straight from fermenter (bubbling had stopped, FG ~1004). Added a half teaspoon of sugar to the bottles.
Am I supposed to shake them to mix the sugar or not??
Cheers
Ken

I've never bottled that way so I'm not sure. I always rack to a bottling bucket first then add 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Anyhow, I imagine that if you cap the bottle, let it sit for a few minutes, then just flip it upside down a couple times, that should get the sugar properly mixed into the beer. Don't shake too vigorously. That might oxidize your beer a bit I would think.

kenmc said:
Added a half teaspoon of sugar to the bottles.
Am I supposed to shake them to mix the sugar or not??
Cheers Ken

ken

the method you are using will work - do not shake!

the reason homebrewer_99 suggest priming en masse instead of individually is because 1) it's easier 2) it's more precise 3) which leads to even carbonation.

the method you describe sounds like a mr. beer kit instructions or similar system. you put the sugars in each bottle and the filling process should be enough to get the mix going

Thanks to those that replied.
reason I didn't mix the sugar with the water and add to the fermenter was cos I didn't wanna mix up all the sediment lying at the bottom. I don't have room for a primary and secondary fermenters, so thats why I had to go straight from the primary to the bottles. And course I couldn't mix the sugar with water and add that to the bottles cos I'd have no idea how much to add to each bottle....
Cheers
K

Back