Priming it HOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
I'd like to prime my bottles as fast as possible - how much off-flavor would occur from priming @ 85°+ F?

Grassy ass.

No, i add the priming sugar, let it carbonate at elevated temperatures. 85+ . The idea is to prime it quickly

No, i add the priming sugar, let it carbonate at elevated temperatures. 85+ . The idea is to prime it quickly

If you like the result, that's all that matters.

Beer ages much faster at room temperature than in the fridge, and at 85+ plus, it would age even faster. Warm temperatures will degrade the beer, but not instantly.

Cold temperatures slow aging (that's why cellars are cool, but not fridge temp) and warm temperatures speed aging. If your beer tastes great, without any off-flavors from the priming sugar being fermented at 85 degrees or more, and you're going to drink it fast, it should be fine.

Warm temperatures escalate reactions- oxidizing, staling, etc- so I would be hesitant to let my beer get above about 75 except for quick times when I"m transporting it, and ideally even cooler.

If your beer tastes great, without any off-flavors from the priming sugar being fermented at 85 degrees or more, and you're going to drink it fast, it should be fine.

This is what I'm asking - is there a likely chance that the priming sugar-fermentation could produce off flavors? Right now the beer tastes *drinkable* (being warm, and flat) - but I wanted to know if that short amount of time at 85° with a limited amount of fermentables poses a serious risk of off flavors.

As far as FERMENTATION off flavors, probably not. The amount of priming sugar is so small that there shouldn't really be any noticeable flavor impact. However, like Yooper said, keeping your beer hot will accelerate staling. I don't remember the exact figure, but it's exponential in nature the higher the temp gets. I have stored my brew reserves at room temp (mid 60s to very low 70s depending on the season) with my soon-to-be-drank stuff in the fridge since I started brewing and haven't had a problem with staling unless I made an error procedurally (although my beers that get to be a couple years old certainly have the "aged beer" caramelly syrupy note to them- usually if I let them age that far its desired), but the more you ramp up the temp the faster those results will become. I'd think you'd be ok, although you also need to keep in mind that the warmer you get the less CO2 will dissolve so it'll take longer in the fridge to balance out once it carbonates, and that may cancel out the gains from upping the temp. I suppose others may understand the reactions better, but it doesn't seem like a fruitful idea to me.

Thats what I was thinking - that the amount of fermentation is going to be too small to produce significant off-flavors.

I won't be storing these at 85° - I just wanted to get them to carbonate quicker and be done.

I had brewed the batch and won't be back for a long time, within which these will certainly be drunk by friends. This was just an idea I had to get some of my beer I made before I left! :(

If faster carbonation is what you want, you'd be better off pitching fresh yeast. That almost always speeds up the process.

Back