Prime time to Prime with Maple Syrup instead of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Greetings Earthlings thanks for looking in,

So I have had a few discussions with a brewmaster over at AHS (austin home supply) Great advice, but wanted to hear from some of you who may have tried and what your notes are.

5 gallon batch of Stout ready to prime for bottling.
Instructed to use 1oz - per gallon. I was sent 5oz of Priming sugar or Cane sugar I believe it is.
However my beer needs a little 'somethin somethin' so I'd like to add a bit of Real Canadian maple Syrup. I have read where it is a 1:1 substitute, and when baking go 2/3 and dial back H2o 1/3 in lieu of sugar....

Anyone out there used Maple Syrup Canadian Not USA as there is no such thing as USA "real" Syrup as stated by some guy on the net. LOL!
I found some stuff in regards to "A"grade "B" grade which is Log Cabin High fructose. Those who used that talk about 1 gallon to 5 of beer!
Thoughts?

The calculator that started all this subsitution, plus I did not want to drive 35 minutes for maple or caramel under/overtones.
https://www.morebeer.com/content/priming_sugar_calculator

This is the technical of it, which is a real yawner but the answer is in there if I loved algerbra
https://byo.com/article/sweetness-brewing-sugars-how-to-use-them/

That guy on the net who says USA don't have Real maple syrup but writes easy. 1:1 substitute etc.
https://www.purecanadamaple.com/benefits-of-maple-syrup/sugar-alternative/

I remember watching an old Craigtube video where he tasted one of his brews that he'd made with a decent amount of real maple syrup. At some expence no doubt. The look on his face when he realised that it tasted exactly the same as the brews made with table sugar.
Anyway, if you can get it cheap I'd say go for it, but if it costs as much as it does where I live I'd use something cheaper.

Sadu, Thanks for that, I was hoping to get a flavor but if your memory serves correct sounds like that is not the avenue.... So to get a flavor to come through in the priming or secondary, I need to use something without sugar(s) or fermentable sugar to have it stay?

If you are trying to get a 'maple' flavor in your beer, you need to add it in as a fermentable in the main recipe. There is just not enough added for priming to give even a hint at the maple flavoring. Also, to get a prominent maple flavor, use a grade 'B' pure maple syrup. The grade B does not mean the use of addition of high fructose corn sugar or any other additive, it refers to the color and ° Baume of the syrup indicating a stronger maple flavor and is more intended for cooking versus casual table usage.

Spend some time and google this. I've been researching how to get significant maple flavor into my stout for quite some time. The only common theme is that it's difficult and simply adding maple syrup does not suffice.

I've read everything from using some chemical that I can't recall to adding huge amounts of maple syrup (after boiling 3-4 hours and mashing at 158 because the simple sugars of the syrup will dry the beer out), to using maple extract to using maple sap as the strike/sparge water in an AG brew. There is no consensus on a method that works.

I got to try some KBBS a few weeks ago and the maple was amazing. I'd love to recreate it, but I can't seem to find good info on how. Huge stouts are expensive to brew and need a lot of time to age, making it really hard to experiment.

If it were me, I'd prime with the sugar you have and try adding some real maple extract.

Hwk-I-St8,
Thanks for that heads up. You know SamAdams Amber Bock is really nice too. I've been burning through the Season Pack(s) Choc Bock is another.
I've seen Clones and perhaps those will expose the ingredient that gives a nice maple flavor. I guess I can try with 1Gal batches to start with to get it right.

Another natural ingredient that gives the impression of maple syrup is fenugreek extract. I've never tried it in brewing, but have in cooking and my experiences there is that it provides more of an aroma than actual flavor.

the US has plenty of Real Maple Syrup it's just not to be confused with Pancake Syrup (aunt jemima, log cabin, etc) which are artificially flavored corn syrup. they may have the leaf on their flag but we makes the good stuff here too

I went down to the LBS and Picked up Brewers best Caramel.... I think this should finish it nicely. Might help hide some of the sins of the 1st batch. I was also told that adding lactose sugar after the boil it will leave the beer cloudy. Just thought to add this if someone out there stumbles across the thread.

IMO, Maple Syrup is best on Pancakes and Waffles (with some country ham on the side) .
As mentioned earlier, I can't see it adding flavor with the little amount needed for priming.
I also can't imagine dumping a half gallon of that goodness into a boil kettle for beer. ($$$)

I am learning....Want sweet? Add Lactose, no ferment-able Sugar at boil, want citrus, add a Hop and reduce Ph, looking for a finish after taste? Add before bottling.

That Caramel flavor marries nicely with the chocolate I pitched with the hops 15 minutes out. Judiciously with the flavoring. For instance; I took about 5oz out of the spigot from the secondary, used an eye dropper and added 1 drop, tasted, 2 drops, tasted and found about 2 drops to that 5 oz gives it that caramel/maple flavor I wanted to finish that Choc stout with.

Cold crashing tonight with the 40º front coming thru here. Maybe you too from your local..
I moved that secondary into my mud room where it is a bit cooler then the house, and noticed my 2 stage had the h20 moved to one side, (indication of pressure) Not cold enough in the last couple days to warrant temp doing it. So I figure there is still a bit of slight activity, since I've been wrestling with my FG being higher then the recipe. Anyhow... I'll take advantage of the cold front coming in and see if that will "cold crash" the yeast a bit and I'll check the FG at bottling and see where and if anything happens.
But she is dark, clear and beautiful.

Back