Primary fermentor scratches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a used bucket to work as a fermentor, It has some fine scratches in the walls and floor would this be a problem? Its a 6.5 gallon and food grade. we used it for bean storage. I guess the beans over time scratched it. I read somewhere that gouges will harbor bacteria, are they talking about large scratches?

They say not just large scratches,but scratches in general. I've never had any problems with my plastic fermenters from a tiny,shallow scratch here & there. Like the lil lines on a SS pot or the like. I soak mine clean with PBW for a week. Then rinse & thoroughly sanitize with starsan. As long as it's not too scratched up,it might be ok.

I agree with union . . . as long as you clean very well, and sanitize well, it shouldn't matter . . . the scratches would only become a problem if they're deep enough that you can't properly clean them with some PBW and a rag/sponge.

I use iodophor to sanitize . . . and I like to let it sit in my fermenter for upwards of 20-30 mins, even though it claims to sanitize in 5 mins.

I went to thier site to check it out I think they paid 15 bucks to have thier site made. It is as un-userfriendly as ive seen. Yes I agree why put a 30.00 ingerdient kit in a crap fermentor. I dont think I'll risk it. :fro:
Seriously... go buy a new bucket from a LHBS for $15 bucks. Why would you even consider a used bucket to make beer in?

Gary

Seriously... go buy a new bucket from a LHBS for $15 bucks. Why would you even consider a used bucket to make beer in?

Gary

Yeah this. Tack on an extra fermenter with your next purchase. Maybe it would be ok, maybe not. For $15 I wouldn't risk it.

Back