Pressure Fermented Czech Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe or tips for producing a successful pressure-fermented Czech lager? Thanks!

I think Czech lagers are one of the few lagers that can have a bit of esters. Pressure ferment is suppose to reduce esters. I have not fermented under pressure but plan to give it a try soon.

Look for a yeast that that does not attenuate too much to leave a little body if you are doing a premium pale lager.

I would bitter with magnum then use saaz hops at the end of the boil. I have a done a few with just saaz and because of the low AA it take a ton of hop to get the IBU in the right range. Buy your hops from somewhere that lists the harvest year, a large amount of old hops late in the boil can taste bad.

I always look at the Brewing Classic Style book for ideas when I am doing a new style to get some ideas.

I think Czech lagers are one of the few lagers that can have a bit of esters. Pressure ferment is suppose to reduce esters. I have not fermented under pressure but plan to give it a try soon.

Look for a yeast that that does not attenuate too much to leave a little body if you are doing a premium pale lager.

I would bitter with magnum then use saaz hops at the end of the boil. I have a done a few with just saaz and because of the low AA it take a ton of hop to get the IBU in the right range. Buy your hops from somewhere that lists the harvest year, a large amount of old hops late in the boil can taste bad.

I always look at the Brewing Classic Style book for ideas when I am doing a new style to get some ideas.

Thanks. But not sure if the brewing classic styles will help with pressurization issues. I plan to use WL High Pressure yeast. Hoping someone who has become savvy with pressurization brews would make some videos or something.

Back