Preservatives-blasphemous I know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETLMT

Reaction score
I am making Kombucha and just starting to sell it. Between COVID and a 130mph windstorm that went through the area it is hard to gauge how quickly my customers will go through the 5+ gallons that I sell them, so I am thinking until I know the flow of sales I want to add some preservatives, but eventually I will stop.

I read somewhere that sodium benzoate would be the best to use for kombucha, but now I cannot find the article again and I do not know how to gauge how much to put in.

Can someone tell me how to calculate the dosage for Sodium benzoate based on the volume and the pH?

Is Sorbic Acid the way I really want to go?

Thank you,
Darryl

-Put your shoulders and head back, think I own this **** and you can raise your testosterone up to 15% and lower your stress hormone up to 20% in less than 2 MINUTES!

I don't understand why you would want a preservative in kombucha. Seems that would defeat the purpose of making a live culture. From what I have read, I would let it become vinegar and add tea when ready for sale. To my understanding preservatives will stop some of the natural (if not all) processes of kombucha. Preservatives are bad in my belief system. I know this is an old post but felt inclined to add my thoughts. Blessings on your path :)

Latest posts

Back