How often should I add raisins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcicu

Reaction score
Dear Brewers,
My question is: When, and how often should I add raisins to my mead/cider/kombucha/kilju?
I am quite new in fermenting, and my first attempt was with a yeast that already had nutrients. Now I want to go more "artisanal" and will try using bread yeast and raisins as nutrients... will it work?
I have read several forums discussing if raisins-yes or raisins-no, but I couldn't find a topic about when to put the raisins, how to treat them (boiled? crushed? mashed? hydrated? ) and if it should be done only once as a yeast starter or it should be repeated all through the first phase of the fermentation process...
Last thing, one idea that came to my mind about nutrients is to take a cup or two from the batch, and boil the raisins in it. Let it chill and put it back in the fermentation bucket. This way I will have some boiled/dead yeast as well that could work as a nutrient, right? Please let me know your opinion about this!
Kind regards and good brewing!
Max

Latest posts

Back