Prefered Hefeweizen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFlint

Reaction score
I’m planning to make a Weizen and Dunkel Weizen for my next two batches. Considering how important yeast is to this style, I was wondering what yeasts folks here had used with success. The recipes that I’ll be following call for Wyeast 3068 or 3638. The store that I’ve been going to seems to only stock White Labs and the usual “plain” dry ale yeasts. How do WL’s weizen yeasts compare to Wyeast? Any recommendations are appreciated.

I've used WLP300. The banana is very strong with this one, so I'd try and stay at the lower end of the temp range.

I've used White Labs Hefe IV (WLP 380). Sounds similar to El P because mine also was strong in the bananna catagory. Still made a good beer though.

At what temp. were you guys fermenting? I've been using my basement as the place to keep my fermenters, so I've been at the mercy of whatever temps it keeps. However, my last brew was around 66-68 in the primary. Is this along the lines that your thinking?

The White Labs web site says 68-72 for the WLP300...I'm trying to keep mine right at 68. I'm looking forward to February when I can maybe do that without cooling. :(

I'm in so. Cal. and when I did the batch a couple months ago...checking my brew log...it was August 4th, so the middle of the summer. The room I keep it in is shielded from the sun so it doesn't get that hot, plus the summer this year wasn't that bad. I would say it averaged 72 or so, maybe a couple degrees higher. The brew came out great, but it would have been even better at 68.

Actually, my experience with weizen yeasts show that the low temp (68) will produce the cloves flavor and the higher temp (72) will produce the banana flavor.

Anyone getting banana at 68? Let me know which yeast you used.

Thanks.

homebrewer_99 said:
Anyone getting banana at 68? Let me know which yeast you used.
I just racked a dunkelweizen to secondary after 11 days in the primary at 68F. There was a very slight banana taste in the sample...much less than I was expecting, but still there. It was WLP300.

Back