Post will not budge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking999

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a two corny keg setup from Midwest. One of the kegs disassembled with no problem. For the other keg, I had a hell of a time getting the beer out post removed, but it eventually gave way. Then I tried to remove the gas in post and it's damned near impossible. I'm using an adjustable wrench because I haven't been able to find an individual 7/8 inch wrench locally. After trying for hours, my hands are covered in sores and my left middle finger has a gash in it from when I tried to hit the handle of the wrench with a hammer to break it free as someone else suggested. I tried soaking the top of the keg in Oxiclean, but that didn't loosen anything up. Honestly, I doubt any soaking would work because I can't see how any liquid could get into where it matters.

I'm on the verge of breaking down and buying one of these, despite my suspicion that it's all a part of their little sales scam (tighten the posts beyond belief in order to sell their special wrenches): Ratcheting box wrench 7/8 - 11/16 :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
If that doesn't work, I'll send the whole damn lot back to them and tell them to send me something that works.

Is there anything else I can possibly try before ordering this crap?

Well you could go down to your local hardware store and pick up a box end wrench that size, or use a deep well socket as I do. I don't see the point in buying a "special" wrench and paying 15 + shipping for it when you can use something local.

There's nothing special about that wrench. Sears has them (Craftsmen).

Get two sizes (7/8ths and 11/16ths)and they'll fit any corny post (not just the star shaped)

Once you have one of these on your post snuggly, use a three pound sledge to knock it loose. People make the mistake of using a regular hammer and there just isn't enough umphhh and you end up swinging too hard and hitting yourself.

post2.jpg

post3.jpg

Yeah, I have box wrenches, but I don't have and wasn't able to find a 7/8 inch one outside of a set (my biggest is 3/4). I didn't try Sears though.

And for the record, I didn't hit my hand with the hammer. The wrench hit my finger AFTER I hit the wrench with the hammer. :cross:

yeah, there's no reason to order a special wrench for that price. if there's a harbor freight in your city you'll be able to beat the price of sears.

edit: I dont know what kind of tools, if any, you already own. if you have a socket wrench you can get a 7/8 socket for <$5 at sears.

I have one of these in my garage, it helps in situations like this. It's a little slow though...

2ykc4yo.jpg

:ban:

If there is a harbor freight or northern tool by you, you can usually pick up a decent deep socket set for relatively cheap, of if you already have a socket wrench, lowes sells single sockets. That and a length of pipe to use as a breaker bar should help. Just make sure you don't dent the keg!

Yeah, I have box wrenches, but I don't have and wasn't able to find a 7/8 inch one outside of a set (my biggest is 3/4). I didn't try Sears though.

And for the record, I didn't hit my hand with the hammer. The wrench hit my finger AFTER I hit the wrench with the hammer. :cross:

Hit up an auto store. I ended up getting my 12 point 7/8" wrench at Advance Auto parts. They had them behind the counter up on a wall. My set and every other set I could find in the hardware stores (no sears nearby) maxed out at 3/4. They'll probably charge you close to 10 bucks for it, but the thing is long and you'll get plenty of torque with it.

When I was reconditioning a whole lot of cornies I had one with the same issue. I bought the deep socket and that helped a lot. I think I ended up holding the keg with my legs, partially sitting on it and using a heavy mallet as mentioned to knock it loose the first time.

I have one of these in my garage, it helps in situations like this. It's a little slow though...

2ykc4yo.jpg

:ban:

If there is a harbor freight or northern tool by you, you can usually pick up a decent deep socket set for relatively cheap, of if you already have a socket wrench, lowes sells single sockets. That and a length of pipe to use as a breaker bar should help. Just make sure you don't dent the keg!
I'm sure it would be slow, I think a keg weights more then all of that...

On a side note sears has a lifetime warranty on most craftsman wrenches. And a length of hollow tubing around the wrench will give you even more leverage.

I think most places have lifetime warranty anymore. All of the auto stores have them. Even the cheap stuff is so cheap the chinese can afford to give you another when you break them.

I got a 7/8 inch deep socket and had absolutely no better luck. The wrench gets a much better grip on the post, but it still will not move. I tried hitting the handle with heavy dumbbell weights, and I even tried using the CO2 tank. Nothing.

I'm wondering if heat or cold might help. Whatever's causing this thing to stick might loosen up under heat or become brittle and breakable if it's cold. The question is, which one do I try?

Holycrap, even the CO2 bottle? :D

How about a socket with mentioned "breaker bar" to add leverage.

Use another wrench as a cheater bar.....maybe get someone else to hold the keg for you while you pull on the wrenches. Know anyone with an impact gun? :mug:

use a crowbar through the handles to brace the keg while you use the wrench to twist the other way. i've had several cornies come with posts stuck on. the hardest part for me was holding the keg still while applying crazy amounts of force to the wrench. the crowbar fixes that problem, just don't pop the rubber top off! it's scary pulling on a wrench that hard though, because you know when it does go, one or the other of your hands is going to smash into something!

w00t!

:ban::ban::ban:

Heat did the trick. I could hardly believe it when the thing started moving. I thought my socket wrench had broken or something. It reeked of Sprite or whatever when it came off, so I guess it was soda syrup gumming up the works.

Thanks for the help!

:mug:

I picked up 4 used ones form Lisco2 and the gas in were pretty well stuck on there as well. I used my air powered impact driver with a 7/8 deep well socket and they spun right off. The vibratory action of the impact driver does the trick. Any tire shop will have them.

Often times when wrenching on cars, I will need to figure out a way to get some extra oomph on a wrench to remove a stubborn bolt, like a head bolt thats usually torqued down to about 75ft. lbs.

In this situation, I always go looking for a tube that will slip over the wrench handle I am using. If its 18" longer than thewrench handle, you have effectively given yourself 2-3x the mechanical advantage if not more. Use a 3' breaker bar on that post and I guarantee it comes out almost effortlessly. ;) I know you have already gotten it, but for future reference to anyone in the same spot, grab a breaker bar/wrench handle extension tube. You'll thank me later.

Often times when wrenching on cars, I will need to figure out a way to get some extra oomph on a wrench to remove a stubborn bolt, like a head bolt thats usually torqued down to about 75ft. lbs.

In this situation, I always go looking for a tube that will slip over the wrench handle I am using. If its 18" longer than thewrench handle, you have effectively given yourself 2-3x the mechanical advantage if not more. Use a 3' breaker bar on that post and I guarantee it comes out almost effortlessly. ;) I know you have already gotten it, but for future reference to anyone in the same spot, grab a breaker bar/wrench handle extension tube. You'll thank me later.

That helps but as mentioned earlier you run into trying to hold the keg while using your cheater bar. The answer to that was to use another cheater bar through the handles of the corny, but at that point having two people makes it easier.

Yes the cheater bar is useless when you can't get the leverage on the keg. And the rubber handles can break and unglue from the keg. If you can't use/borrow etc an impact wrench you could try putting a good fitting wrench on the post, hold it in the direction of travel, and smack it repeatedly with a hammer, you don't have to hit really hard, just repeatedly, the vibration breaks the bond.
-Ben

Latest posts

Back