1.6 Gallon Mini Keg - Tight Gas Post Connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langerz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a couple of the mini kegs below to use for tailgating this year. Overall they worked great. The only issue was the gas post are really tight and removing the QDs is really hard. It's almost like the gas post are actually liquid posts. The gas posts have grooves like you would expect and the post itself even looks slightly different than the liguid, but they are a bear to disconnect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B9SZ1BZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suppose the easy answer is just try liquid posts, but I already bought the QDs (I know like $10) and curious is others have run into this.

I have two of those. Or at least two very similar to those. Some of my QDs are tougher to get on and off than others. But I usually have mini-regulators on the gas posts and picnic tap 2.1s on the liquid posts and don't have any problems with those.

yeah what they said. i have one of those also. and have the same issue with the gas post. aside from that one issue they are pretty good kegs. the gas one is harder to get on than the liquid one and i have seen reviews online that say the same. and as stated above some qds go on these posts better than others. my cheap chinese knock off gas qd goes on everything easier but it also leaks sometimes at low pressures.

the obvious solution is to change the posts and i have seen many people say they change them out. the poppit in the middle also doesnt seal as flush as the high quality replacements you can get onlline. i think these ones ive seen reccomended as replacements

https://www.amazon.com/MRbrew-Corne...0JsqiK-RrKDziU1Pci5yLZhwyJMaAhroEALw_wcB&th=1
the 2.6 gal tmcraft doesnt have the same issue for me some reason. i still like the 1.6 it fits and goes anywhere. and it seems to carb up very quickly with the small volume.

yeah what they said. i have one of those also. and have the same issue with the gas post. aside from that one issue they are pretty good kegs. the gas one is harder to get on than the liquid one and i have seen reviews online that say the same. and as stated above some qds go on these posts better than others. my cheap chinese knock off gas qd goes on everything easier but it also leaks sometimes at low pressures.

the obvious solution is to change the posts and i have seen many people say they change them out. the poppit in the middle also doesnt seal as flush as the high quality replacements you can get onlline. i think these ones ive seen reccomended as replacements

https://www.amazon.com/MRbrew-Corne...0JsqiK-RrKDziU1Pci5yLZhwyJMaAhroEALw_wcB&th=1
the 2.6 gal tmcraft doesnt have the same issue for me some reason. i still like the 1.6 it fits and goes anywhere. and it seems to carb up very quickly with the small volume.
Duh change the post. I have a bunch of extra posts laying around. Why is the obvious solution always hard to come up with :).

I would rather change the posts than find different QDs. My tailgate setup is pretty crude when it comes to a "keezer" but I have a pretty workable solution with a duotight "manifold" for the two kegs. My main issue is remembering all the parts. Last tailgate of the season I had two picnic taps with me but didn't notice I had taken the QDs off of them for cleaning and didn't put them back on. No homebrew for the last game.

Back