Post Fermentation Adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTech117

Reaction score
So I guess this is more of a Share than a Question,

BYO Magazine had a cool article in the Jan / Feb Issue this year that touched upon Post Fermentation Adjustments. I thought this was interesting and had recently brewed a Extract Pale Ale I made ( can attach the recipe if anyone is interested) that I overshot my water on. Instead of boiling 6 Gallons Somehow (maybe too many home brews?) I put 7.5 Gallons of water in the pot. Long story short .... Way light in flavor and ABV after fermenting. Regardless I kegged the 5 gallons of finished product. After 48 hours force carbing I tried the beer again ... and wow tasted like Hop Water. I thought all was lost until I read that Article!

So I dug thru my wife's kitchen and found the kids snack bowl of Cuties Oranges and a few limes / lemons. I decided to Peel / heat and mash (gently) some of these and add it to the keg. After another 48 hours my watery Pale ale became a fruitful ... Pale ale? So if i'm getting to a question here here it is:

1) Does this change the style of beer since i added fruit?
2) What do you all do for post fermentation adjustments (IF beer didn't come out the way you like it)

And I guess the statement I'm making is for new brewers who make a beer and don't like it, than toss it out - rather than starting all over maybe try some Post Fermentation adjustments and see if it makes your beer palatable.

P.S. I thought about Icing a gallon or so to rid of the water but that's another POST (Pun Intended) .

Back