Fruit Puree and water adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,
I'm getting ready to make a 2.5 Gallon Blond and will be adding 1 Can of 49 Oz Blueberry Puree. My plan is to add in secondary. My question is do I need to adjust the water in recipe since I'm adding in Puree. For Example, after I put the Wort into Fermenter, the recipe states to add 1 gallon of water which I believe brings the liquid to 2.5 Gallons of beer. Would that have to be adjusted down since I'm adding puree in secondary? Or, just make like normal and added liquid won't dilute the beer?

Damian

Not positive ,but I believe it will end up as sludge on the bottom and you'll not want that in the final package so I'd make it 2.5 into fermenter. I did a peach puree once(never again) and had to leave 1 gal behind,worse then whole fruit.
I did find a new to me product from Amorette called Artiasin (my spelling is questionable). Comes in an 8 oz bottle and I'm trying the mango in a Lambic that won't be bottled until Nov. Totally excited to use the pear I got in an upcoming mead. Overwhelming reviews for real fruit flavor.

Based on what Hotpeper13 said, I might wait until fermentation is over before adding any more water as you have no idea at this point how much extra trub you will have from the puree. Since you don't want to add oxygen after fermentation, I'd probably boil and cool the gallon of water that may be needed and siphon what was needed very carefully to avoid splashing.

Back