Post a pic of you and your other hobbys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quickerNu said:
The first Harley ever built.....

number1.jpg
Great photo!
Ride e'm and sell 'em ----- do you work for H-D company or for a dealership?

I renovated and sold my rental properties and I unfortunately demonstrated competance to SWMBO. So now I'm into extreme home renovations. I have multiple projects on the go, but I don't mind so much. SWMBO is happy and our house is going to be very nice when I'm done.

Part of the deal was that I get to build myself a new bar. The wall straight ahead in the picture used to be a single bay window and the wall on the left was completely solid. I had to rip out both walls and rebuild them to get the windows that I wanted. I also built a deck that you can access through a door on the right hand side of the room. Here we're in the process of laying the wood floor. It's some nice knotty pine that will be perfect for a bar floor. The pool table goes in the low area and the bar and table go on the walkway.

7601-BarFloor015.jpg

LouT said:
Great photo!
Ride e'm and sell 'em ----- do you work for H-D company or for a dealership?

Thanks. I work for Horny Toad Harley Davidson. Been working for Harley dealerships since '97. I have a degree in Agronomy-Turf Management from Texas A&M. They don't a/c golf courses well, and Harleys are more fun than golf carts.

hthd.jpg

Cars... (the vette is mine... porsche is my buddies)

PICT1292.jpg

And TUNA!!!!!!

PICT1734.jpg

guitars.jpg

I like to play with guitars. I'm mostly a bass player, but mess around with other vintage stuff too.

Tele Thinline - semi-hollow body. Originally made from the late '60s through late '70s. Mine's a reissue from the mid '90s. Sweet guitar.

the art guy said:
Tele Thinline - semi-hollow body. Originally made from the late '60s through late '70s. Mine's a reissue from the mid '90s. Sweet guitar.

Cool! Does a semi- hollow body sound more like a hollow body or solid? Used to have a hollow body Birdland copy. Feedback was an issue. The upside was that you could sing into the pickups.
Now have a Telecaster copy built up out of a Squier Bullet neck and a tele body that a friend of mine made out of a hunk of cedar. The guy is a bassplayer, but set this guitar up with the touch of a surgeon. It's a real pleasure to play it.

Plays more like a solid-body. Some might tell you there's a significant tonal difference, but to me it mainly sounds like a Telecaster.

I'm working on a couple project Teles also - once the bug bites you, you can't stop collecting parts and putting them together....

quickerNu said:
Thanks. I work for Horny Toad Harley Davidson. Been working for Harley dealerships since '97. I have a degree in Agronomy-Turf Management from Texas A&M. They don't a/c golf courses well, and Harleys are more fun than golf carts.

hthd.jpg

I forgot to mention that I also collect Harley T-shirts,(hint,hint)!!!;)

Cool deal, I'll have to get you a line on a Big Moose H-D shirt from Maine.
I worked at an H-D dealership in NC in 94/95, after completing the full MMI curriculum. I then had a custom aftermarket shop which I closed in 2001. I have a bachelor's in M.E., and got my foot in the door with John Deere company, and now I'm a field rep for them. I was just curious if you might have been a field rep for H-D -- it's something I've thought I'd enjoy and perhaps consider down the road. Actually, I just saw that H-D has a field rep opening for NY, but I know we can't move from here since we just moved here last summer.
I guess the above is off- topic, but Harley's are still my hobby, but to a lesser extent than they used to be. Wish I had more space, I'd be adding some bikes to the stable!

I've been trying to restore an old farm tractor for years, but the finances are too tight to make any headway. Homebrewing is far more suited to a small budget. :mug:

Break_down_2 (Small).JPG

Evan! said:
4914-Picture143.jpg

A couple years back, we bought our first house. The night we closed on the mortgage, we ripped out the kitchen. Renovating the house is a hobby of sorts. This is me, in the weeks following closing...a wonder-bar and hammer in one hand, and some Blanc de Blanc in the other. And if I look a bit...pissed, well...let's just say that we really busted our asses those first few weeks trying to make the kitchen usable. And as fun as demolition may be, you do get tired after too many nights spent working till midnight.

Ummm, I just wanted to correct you my good sir....it's the "Super Wonder Bar" it's extra kinky, he he, kinky

Lil' Sparky said:
Man, I would love to get into flying. Maybe some day when I've got more time and $$. ;)

I thought I heard the FAA was going to make it easier and less expensive for folks to get their private pilot's licence. Anyone have info about this? It'd be great to do with my son - something to do together while he is basically at that teen age when parental-avoidance is a priority...

LouT said:
At least the tractor's the right color!
Agreed. My grandfather only bought green then my dad goes and breaks the chain. Sounds like the next one will he be green though.

LouT said:
I thought I heard the FAA was going to make it easier and less expensive for folks to get their private pilot's licence. Anyone have info about this? It'd be great to do with my son - something to do together while he is basically at that teen age when parental-avoidance is a priority...

You're thinking about the new LSA (light sport aircraft). You don't need a flight physical, your driver's license qualifies you medically to fly. I'm not sure if there are reduced hourly requirements or if this is meant to replace the Recreational Pilots Certificate (minimum 30 hours as opposed to the Private's requirement of minimum 40 hours).

Many manufacturers are coming out with their versions of LSA, but the cheapest thing to do would be to buy an old Champ.

EDIT: click here:http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/sport_pilot/

click the link for "light sport certification eligibility" (pdf file). Basically a sport pilot needs 20 hours minimum.

Hobbies hobbies hobbies, where to start.

Probably my biggest hobby, my van. I wrench on it a lot, some times cause I awnt to a lot because I don't. Have a pretty warmed up TPI engine in the garage if I ever get around to putting it in, thinking/hoping it'll be 275-300hp. I've done work on my own fuel injection systems, and tonight will probably wind up with me soldering up some DIY wide band oxygen sensor kits.

astro.jpg

Besides that, I'm a big electronics guy. Here's a Rauland tube amp I re capped myself. It's a 6L6 push pull wired up with 6SC7s for the work (tone control and phase splitting) and a 6SQ7 for each channel's input preamp.

raul1.jpg

underside, she's a sexy beast :p
raul3.jpg

Besides this, I am a licensed ham radio operator, even though I don't have any pics up of that at all. I also have dabbled in metal casting, do some metal working as well as much as I can involving electricity.

guns.jpg

Like to shoot the guns when I can, but at the same time being a broke college kid doesn't make it easy to build a good collection. The hi-point (junk) was sold, and I have a bolt action shotgun and another Mosin-Nagant since that pic was taken.

Flyin' Lion said:
You're thinking about the new LSA (light sport aircraft). You don't need a flight physical, your driver's license qualifies you medically to fly. I'm not sure if there are reduced hourly requirements or if this is meant to replace the Recreational Pilots Certificate (minimum 30 hours as opposed to the Private's requirement of minimum 40 hours).

Many manufacturers are coming out with their versions of LSA, but the cheapest thing to do would be to buy an old Champ.

EDIT: click here:http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/sport_pilot/

click the link for "light sport certification eligibility" (pdf file). Basically a sport pilot needs 20 hours minimum.

Yeah, but have you seen the price tags on the new LSA's? Might as well get a 4 seater with a full ifr panel.

My hobbies are scuba diving, flying, skiing (my reason to live), hiking/backpacking/camping. I really love combining the last 5.

Fly out to Denver with all my gear... mid june, hike up to a peak that hasn't melted yet. Ski down a few times, camp for the night or two or three..., do it again, fly back.

fifelee said:
Agreed. My grandfather only bought green then my dad goes and breaks the chain. Sounds like the next one will he be green though.

Nice to hear. Hope the money's good this year, been draught in a lot of places.

Flyin' Lion said:

Interesting, but kind of hard to understand. Thanks for the link. I do need to look into this.

Uncle Argyle said:
Ouch! I'm used to the bias though! A lot of Deere green in my family as well :D

You have what looks like a fun project to work on. Color doesn't matter for the old restorations, to me those are all cool. Good luck!

LouT said:
Nice to hear. Hope the money's good this year, been draught in a lot of places.
We had drought to, but the price is up. Things always seem to just work out.

Here's one of my other hobbies. I'm the one on the left. I tend to get into it for a while and then back out of it for a while. Also like road and mountain biking. Sold my motorcycle. Darn kids take up most of my hobby time these days....
8384-DSCF0034.JPG

and with the kids after I lost...

8384-DSCF0041.JPG

I've been wanting to post in this thread since I saw it created, but never got around to any pics until now.

Here's my main 'hobby', my 4 daughters (at Kings Island this past weekend posing with Spongebob - from L to R they're 7 months, 8, 3 and 5):

IMG_0612.jpg

I couldn't find any pics of me playing any of my guitars or me playing poker online, so I'll post what has me consumed of late - building a mondo playset for my girls:

IMG_0640.jpg

It's still in progress (I hope to finish it this weekend, but the kids don't seem to mind). These were taken this afternoon before dinner. It was only in the low 50's here today at about 5:00, so I made them put coats on. The main playhouse is 8'x8', the balcony is 3.5' x 8'. I still need to put the tube slide, the rock climbing wall, the swings, the monkey bars, and the roof on then this sucker will be done. It probably would have been easier doing a kit out of a box that had plans, but what kind of challenge would that be? SWMBO game me some rough dimensions on the sizes she wanted and I just went to town. Carpentry has always been another passion of mine.

My next project is putting a damn fence up so I don't have to look at the neighbors who like to use their driveway as a congregation point for all of their family functions.

Dang window screens made both of these pics turn out a bit grainy:

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Back