Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haussenbrau

Reaction score
I am a committed bottler of beer. Sometimes when I make a beer it is at perfect carbonation when I first sample a beer about three weeks after bottling, but it gets over-carbonated as I age a beer that I want to keep for a while. When you bottle condition sometimes the yeast in the bottle can continue to eat away at some of the more complex sugars with time. Hey they have nothing but time. I have used Lalllemand CBC-1 to bottle condition a Barley Wine or a Quad. I keep these for years. I was thinking that CBC-1 could be useful for any beer that you want to age for a while in the bottle. CBC-1 is a killer yeast so it will kill any residual from your original pitch. CBC-1 also only ferments simple sugars like glucose and dextrose. And finally it does not affect any flavors from the original yeast.

For a beer that you plan on aging for a while CBC-1 should let you dial in the exact carbonation that you want not affect the flavor because it will kill the original yeast and only ferment the priming sugar that you add.

You need to make sure you clean the bottle very good, including a Star San soak when you open the bottle. That way the next beer the bottle is used for will be carbonated.

I welcome all comments.

Sounds like a good idea. I might give it a try when i try doing a barley wine if I think it needs new yeast for the conditioning.

Im not sure if you would need to make a starter to get enough yeast to ensure aome gets in each bottle and apply it batch wise like batch priming.

I reyeast my lagers that have been lagering for 3 months or more. In the past I've just used a cheap ale yeast (Muntons), but this year got a packet of CBC-1. I just sprinkle about 1/4 packet when I add the priming solution and rack the beer onto that. The Muntons worked, but I have sometimes noticed the overcarbonation with time that you speak of.

Sounds like a good idea. I might give it a try when i try doing a barley wine if I think it needs new yeast for the conditioning.

Im not sure if you would need to make a starter to get enough yeast to ensure aome gets in each bottle and apply it batch wise like batch priming.

Actually I split an 11 gram package into four 2.7 gram package when I use a yeast for bottle conditioning. I then vacuum seal the four packages.

Back